PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Rummynose..

Tracey73
Thu Aug 21, 2008, 10:08 AM
I just got home from work and one of my ten rummynose tetras is upside down and breathing rapidly. He appears to have a couple of grazes on one side of his body. I have isolated him from the others. All were fine when I left the house this morning. Everyone else in the tank is fine and all water parameters are good.. any suggestions as to what might have happened to him and what I can do? :(

rwel4809
Thu Aug 21, 2008, 10:23 AM
probably squashed by a tank decoration... I'm afraid it doesn't sound too good :(

I think you should just let nature take its course, you never know, he might recover... Check to see if you have any rocks or other decorations that they can get trapped behind and make sure it can't happen again...

If it's not that I have no idea...

Robert

Tracey73
Thu Aug 21, 2008, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the reply!
I do not think it is that though, as nothing in the tank has moved, all I have in the tank is live plants and one huge piece of drift wood. It looks to me more like something has attacked him? :roll: Other tank mates are cardinals, Kuhlis, Discus, Corys and mystery snails. Two of my discus are a breeding pair who have eggs at the moment, maybe he went close to the eggs and they let him have it :evil:

Big Daddy1
Thu Aug 21, 2008, 12:57 PM
Ah, this one is rather simple.

Your discus of that size and mating put the smack down on it. It will continue to happen as the rummynose (not very bright) will continue to wonder around unknowingly that there is some high valued realestate over there with big mean discus mommy and daddy.

In addition, the discus might try to eat them and usually are unsuccessful. I have had this happen to me, just yesterday actually with h. rasboras. The end result is usually an upside down but breathing little fishy. It always dies! That's in my experience though.

If you like to keep them with the discus, they have to be able to quickly retreat into vegetation.

carnival
Thu Aug 21, 2008, 10:59 PM
I have a similar situation happening at the moment but in my case its Cardinals that are on the Discus hit list. Mum Discus is very protective of the filter tube at the moment, so hopefully I will find some eggs soon all being well, but woe betide any Cardinal that gets too close..!

Tracey73
Fri Aug 22, 2008, 12:35 AM
Ah, this one is rather simple.

Your discus of that size and mating put the smack down on it. It will continue to happen as the rummynose (not very bright) will continue to wonder around unknowingly that there is some high valued realestate over there with big mean discus mommy and daddy.

In addition, the discus might try to eat them and usually are unsuccessful. I have had this happen to me, just yesterday actually with h. rasboras. The end result is usually an upside down but breathing little fishy. It always dies! That's in my experience though.

If you like to keep them with the discus, they have to be able to quickly retreat into vegetation.

Unfortunately he passed away :( The discus keep laying their eggs in the same spot and the rummys know they are there as they have eaten them a couple times when mum and dad were too busy filling their faces!
Think this pore little bugger got caught out big time, not quite quick enough :?

bruceau
Sun Sep 12, 2010, 11:24 AM
one day i came home to find one of me tera's lodged between some driftwood poor little guy must of struggled to get our for hours and died :/