PDA

View Full Version : What return pipe size and what pump size?

dearis
Fri Aug 15, 2008, 10:50 AM
Hi there,

I was wondering if someone could help me calculate the return pipe size and return pump size needed. Using this calculator http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/drain.php it tells me based on (5x the volume of my 4x2x2) 570g/2160l I need a 9inches/23cm if linear overflow and a 1inch/2.54cm durso stand pipe. I am having 2 return pipes but I do not know what size to have them especially given they will go through my co2 diffuser then split into 2. As for return pump size it will have to pump to approx 4 1/2 - 5ft (through the co2 diffuser) I know each pump is different but there must be a ball park size.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards Darren

ILLUSN
Fri Aug 15, 2008, 02:40 PM
i like a pump that flows (in real world terms) 3x the volume of the tank/h, you'd want something like a 1500L/h-1800l/h pump (in real terms it should flow around 1350l/h).

i like my returns to be 1/2 the size of intake, but thats just me.

Edited by ILLUSN to fix dumb moment.

fishgeek
Sat Aug 16, 2008, 06:29 AM
have a look at pumps , the height it needs to push the water is the head, so you want a pump with more than 2 meter head capability

then choose one that you like for reliability , look, costs, whatever floats your boat that is rated to turnover a suitable volume , as illusion has already suggest about 3X is good as it will still be twice the turnover once silting up

i have only run multiple tanks off single sump/pump units so i used small returns

if the water can make it up through the pipe it will certainly make it back down through the same pipe with no bottle neck...
the issue will be strainer, pre filter , whatever you use retarding flow some
thats where 2 returns work or i used a bulk head onto a T fitting with strainer placed downward and the other portion of T upwards as over flow

fishgeek
Sat Aug 16, 2008, 06:42 AM
like this if it works

dearis
Sat Aug 16, 2008, 10:47 AM
Thanks all, I will post a schematic of the plumbing soon so it can be readjusted. Thanks for the ongoing help.

Regards Darren