PDA

View Full Version : Blue Acara

ChrisEddy85
Sun Aug 03, 2008, 12:42 PM
Hi everyone,

I just picked up some Blue Acara (Aequidens Pulcher) today. They're only juv's at the moment (largest is only around 2 inches long) and was wondering if they would be ok in a 6x2x2 discus planted tank I am current building. The only main issue I can foresee would be the temp, but they are at 26C in my current tank, and the LFS said they should be fine around 29. Is this too cold for discus?

Also, they're very peaceful, except when guarding eggs which should be easy to manage, and they prefer soft, acidic water.

If anyone can help with the above, it would be greatly appreciated.

Merrilyn
Mon Aug 04, 2008, 06:22 AM
Hi Chris, they are a gorgeous fish, but unfortunately not an ideal tankmate for discus because of their size.

They grow BIG.

They'll be fine as juveniles, but I think as adults they'll be too big and boisterious for your discus.

I can see feeding becoming a problem too. They won't leave much for your discus to eat.

ChrisEddy85
Mon Aug 04, 2008, 08:31 AM
Yeah, 8 inches plus. Do you think it's worth a try, as they shouldn't harass the Discus at all and when it comes down to it, it'll be the Discus' tank, and the Blue Acara will be in their own tank.

Or is that too risky with the precious....

Merrilyn
Mon Aug 04, 2008, 01:45 PM
Hate to be a wet blanket Chris, but I just can't see it working.

Okay, let's look at a few scenarios.

If you put them into the planted tank for now, then add your adult discus later, there shouldn't be too much trouble. The acaras will be smaller than the adult discus, and so long as you watch the feeding carefully, to see everyone is getting a fair share, then it could work.

However if you plan on getting juvenile (less than 3 inch discus) then you've got big problems. Juvenile discus need lots of food and frequent (daily) water changes. Not ideal in a planted tank. That's why we usually stick with a bare bottom tank to raise juvenile discus.

Discus take their time to feed. They prefer to 'graze' all day, rather than sit down to a big meal. With a few hungry young acaras in there, the food will vanish within 5 minutes, and the juvenile discus will go without.

You'll end up with a tank full of stunted, skinny discus, and fat healthy acaras. They just can't compete with other fish for food.

ChrisEddy85
Mon Aug 04, 2008, 02:20 PM
Yeah, good point. At the moment, the acara's are tiny, but if they start to get too greedy, they'll become trade bait, or they'll stay where they are...

OscarManAlpha
Mon Aug 04, 2008, 09:34 PM
If you happen to come across some curviceps I would not hesitate getting them, as imo they make a great addition to a planted discus tank.

Merrilyn have you ever had these liitle buggers in with discus ?

If so how did they go ?

Cheers,

Mark

ChrisEddy85
Tue Aug 05, 2008, 12:42 AM
Is there a common name?

I have never come across any other american ciclids other than the stock standard - Angels, Discus, Rams (multiple varieties), Keyholes, Blue Acara and Green/Gold severum. I saw some Jack Dempsey once, but I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole.

Merrilyn
Tue Aug 05, 2008, 03:27 AM
Laetacara curviceps - Dwarf Flag Cichlid.