PDA

View Full Version : Breeding pair

Kokoro
Tue Jul 22, 2008, 06:52 AM
Hi all

I've had these two for a few weeks now, and they're settling in well. They seem a bit on the skinny side, so i'm feeding them up and hoping to get a bit more colour on them too. Besides that, what's your verdict? (Especially shape-wise, etc for now). I'm looking for honest criticism here, so feel free to rip into them if you see the need

Thanks in advance!

Kokoro

Hollowman
Tue Jul 22, 2008, 07:37 AM
It's a nice pair of wilds. They look fine to me, although one thing I see (it could just be the photo) are the eyes look a little cloudy....
Shape wise I see no real problems, being wilds, they do not have the 'inbred' shape traits of domestic fish which are bred generally to be round in shape.
They don't look too thin to me, but I guess i cannot see them head on, if they start to look pinched on the forehead, then maybe treat for worms.

Overall, a good pair. It would be great to see them with fry on their backs next. :)

Hollowman

jesx57
Tue Jul 22, 2008, 09:09 AM
Lovely colours, very nice! Good choice.

ivo
Tue Jul 22, 2008, 09:24 AM
steve, they are not wild. they are albino lss intermediate. cheers.

Hollowman
Tue Jul 22, 2008, 09:38 AM
steve, they are not wild. they are albino lss intermediate. cheers.

Are we looking at the same photos Rog' :?

Kokoro
Tue Jul 22, 2008, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the replies

It's a nice pair of wilds

Believe it or not, these are actually not wilds! :P Although i did choose them because they show more natural colours.

I have to admit they're likely to be very inbred as they're apparently a mix of various tank-bred strains, including leopard snakeskin, golden and albino, but I guess all these crosses will have brought some fresh genes into the line. By the look of them, I'd also guess the line's been crossed back to wilds fairly recently.

You're right, their eyes do look cloudy in the photo, but i think that must be a combination of dirty glass and reflections, as they're actually very clear.

I think i'll hold off on the wormers for a while, and see how they go on a good diet. Maybe skinny wasn't the right word, I guess they're just a bit thinner than i'd like them to be

Thanks again!

Kokoro

Hollowman
Tue Jul 22, 2008, 10:03 AM
Who has crossed them? it would be interesting to know how this pair came about, specially if they have LSS, golden and albino in them. Quite a strange outcome I think :?

H

Kokoro
Tue Jul 22, 2008, 10:28 AM
I know that they came from a farm Malaysia originally, but i'm honestly not sure of which one. I bought them from a reliable source, so i'm fairly sure they are true intermediates, but only time will tell..

I'm led to believe that this pair should produce a percentage of aglss and agls. Based on my knowledge of human genetics (which may or may not be transferrable to fish) I would guess that they'll also produce a larger percentage of glss, gls, lss, ls, and most likely some non-leopard varieties. Beyond this, I really have no idea, but I guess it will make them more interesting to breed than a pure strain.

Hollowman
Tue Jul 22, 2008, 10:40 AM
I hope you are right, with my limited knowledge of genetics, I would guess that from two 9 bar fish, the chances of getting 14 bars might be slimmer than you think, and even though they carry the albino gene (if they truley do) I cant see them producing a high quantity of them.

Hey, I might be well off target, knowing me with my guess at them being 'wilds' time will tell. :)

Hollowman
Tue Jul 22, 2008, 10:47 AM
After doing some further reading, if these are intermediates that DO carry the albino gene, it might be recessive in your fish, but might produce a number of albino fry in their offspring....

Ok, get htem breeding mate, I wanna see :lol:

H :wink:

Kokoro
Tue Jul 22, 2008, 11:03 AM
I'm sure there's a good chance you're right. It's probably quite likely that many of the possible varieties won't show up in every spawn, but statistically, they should show up eventually, assuming that the genetics are there.

To be honest, i bought this pair because i was after something different. I'm definately not in it for money, so whatever offspring they produce, I won't be disappointed. I'll definately let you know the result if i can get some fry from them

Kokoro
Tue Jul 22, 2008, 11:11 AM
Ok, get htem breeding mate, I wanna see

I'm doing my best, so hopefully they'll spawn soonish. I've read that fish with the albino gene often eat their eggs, and sometimes any albino fry, so it may take a few tries before i see any fry. Also, they're in a planted tank for a few more weeks, so i don't expect them to raise any fry just yet