PDA

View Full Version : Which Eheim?

vitara1
Thu Jul 03, 2008, 09:08 PM
I am looking to purchase an Eheim but haven't used one in years so am unsure as to which one to buy.

I have a 6x2x2 with a sump filter that does about 3500 ltrs an hour. However I still get unwanted debris floating around the bottom half of the tank. With a sump, unless the debris goes over the side of the wier it doesn't get filtered out.

I have been looking at the eh2227 wet/dry.. I used to have an old eheim wet/dry and it worked great for a long time.

I would be greatful if anyone has an opinion on what Eheim they believe will best suit me as a assistant to my sump filter :?

taksan
Fri Jul 04, 2008, 05:46 AM
Eheim wet drys have no mechanical filtration so are unsuited for your needs. I'd suggest a Eheim 2080 for your size tank as it has 2 inlets that will greatly assist in your mechanical filtration problems.

ILLUSN
Fri Jul 04, 2008, 06:10 AM
I agree with Taksan 100%
5 i have a 2080 on my 6x2x2 and thers NO fine particals floatring in the water.

vitara1
Sun Jul 06, 2008, 03:25 AM
Thanks for your speedy response. Excuse my ignorance, but can you tell me what you mean by "mechanical filtration"?

taksan
Sun Jul 06, 2008, 05:31 AM
Mechanical filtration gets rid of floating particles ...

vitara1
Sun Jul 06, 2008, 07:07 AM
Hi Taksan,

I looked at the specs on the 2080. Bearing in mind I already have a sump filter with bio balls etc that turns over about 3500 ltrs an hour, I only need the Eheim as an assistant. I was thinking along the lines of the intake of the Eheim picking up any debris from the lower column water that doesn't get picked up by the other filter.

All considered (mainly budget restraints), I was thinking maybe the 2228 might be sufficient. There are so many models with similar specs that I am not sure which one. Maybe if somemone could recommend an Eheim around the price of the 2228.

Greggy
Sun Jul 06, 2008, 08:14 AM
If you are after mechanical filtration at that price range you need to consider the Eheim 2217 Classic. Pack it with less bio-media and more filter wool and clean it often.

Regards,

Greggy

Hollowman
Sun Jul 06, 2008, 08:58 AM
If you are after mechanical filtration at that price range you need to consider the Eheim 2217 Classic. Pack it with less bio-media and more filter wool and clean it often.

Regards,

Greggy

Totally agree with you Greggy, the 2217+ is a great filter, very well priced, bullet-proof and with the filter wool, will polish the water very well.

I would recommend this cannister to anyone, not just as a a water polisher (which is your need) but as a all-round filter.

So can i ask, in the return from your sump,(tank to sump) do you use a filter-wool to collect debris that comes out of the tank directly? this would help.

Hollowman

vitara1
Sun Jul 06, 2008, 09:51 PM
Yes I have filter wool in the sump, the really good quality stuff that you can wash & re-use. When it gets dirty I replace it with new one, I don't wash it. It does a great job.
However as you know with a sump filter, only the debris that floats over the top of the weir gets caught in the filter wool. With the Eheim, the intake will vacuum any particles that are floating around lower in the water column.

vitara1
Mon Jul 07, 2008, 09:46 PM
To Greggy & Hollowman,

I went and had a look at the 2217 & 2228. The 2228 seemed a lot more solidly built. If you took price out of the equation between these two models would you still pick the 2217?

Hollowman
Tue Jul 08, 2008, 07:21 AM
Yes, 2217 all the way, it's simple, quiet, cheaper and does the job perfectly.
As for deadbry, going into the intake lower down in the water collumn, just use a sponge over the intake as a mechanical filter.

H

vitara1
Tue Jul 08, 2008, 09:58 AM
The 2217 it is then. Thanks heaps for your help.

jasonmomm
Thu Jul 17, 2008, 03:49 AM
I agree that the Eheim Classic range 2213, 2215, 2217 are fantastic filters. I had a 2213 for years, and now running a 2215 on my 340L African tank and it does a wonderful job. Simple and very effective.

bartek
Tue Aug 05, 2008, 06:18 AM
The 2217 is a great filter.

For your mechanical filtration you can have the filter full of eheim sponges. There is a fine white sponge and a coarse blue sponge. Saying this if you are buying the filter new Im pretty sure it comes with media but the included media is for both mechanical and biological filtration. In my opinion I would just run it as is ot of the box.

The only thing I would add regarding the Eheim classic range is that they are now built in China from what I know while the 2228 etc models are still made in Germany.

bartek
Tue Aug 05, 2008, 06:25 AM

For your mechanical filtration you can have the filter full of eheim sponges. There is a fine white sponge and a coarse blue sponge. Saying this if you are buying the filter new Im pretty sure it comes with media but the included media is for both mechanical and biological filtration. In my opinion I would just run it as is ot of the box.

The only thing I would add regarding the Eheim classic range is that they are now built in China from what I know while the 2228 etc models are still made in Germany.

bartek
Tue Aug 05, 2008, 06:35 AM