PDA

View Full Version : Worms?

Lex
Thu Mar 11, 2004, 09:49 PM
Hey guys!

I have recently purchased some bristlenose frys and have been feeding them lettuce, cucumber and other vegetables. Because I have a bare bottom tank, I have just noticed these tiny white worms! Just want to know if any of you guys know what is causing this and what should I do?
Does this also mean, tanks with gravel also have worms underneath? This freaking me out! :shock:

Cheers

Proteus
Thu Mar 11, 2004, 09:58 PM
that doesnt sound good...

I would be trying to vac them all up right away...

Lex
Thu Mar 11, 2004, 10:09 PM
Yeah I just did it... changed the whole tank and cleaned the filter too. Got freaked out. Maybe I should go back to pellets for these frys. COuld be the vegetables.

Proteus
Thu Mar 11, 2004, 10:13 PM
The worms could have been in the greens...

not sure

kevkoi
Thu Mar 11, 2004, 10:41 PM
Don't panic.... I believe the 'worms' u are talking about are planaria worms. (Do a search on "Planaria").

Planaria worms are harmless little creatures and only pop up when there is an abundance of extra food. They are also sensitive little worms and don't do well when water conditions are poor.

Old Jack Watley used to say that it was a sign of good water to have a couple of planaria worms on the glass.;) :wink:

I think ALL IS GOOD. Dun worry.. be happy. :lol:

Proteus
Thu Mar 11, 2004, 10:47 PM
Thanks for that Kev...

I did some Googling and came up emtpy handed...

:roll:

kevkoi
Thu Mar 11, 2004, 11:25 PM
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Ali_Planaria_Worms.html

Lex
Fri Mar 12, 2004, 12:07 AM
Thanks Kev! Great article ! Now i feel alot better :)

Mattzilla
Sat Mar 13, 2004, 04:49 AM
too much food i think???

discusdude
Sun Mar 14, 2004, 11:24 AM
Dam! I was looking into my 6ft american cichlid tank and i was about 8 of these worms just swimming around! :shock: My gourami has a small mouth so she is enjoying eating them :D But the big guys can not even see them. :( will my fish be ok? Tommorow i am going to have to start working on a way to eradicate them.

Alistair