PDA

View Full Version : New Discus......

Flip03
Mon Jun 30, 2008, 10:42 AM
Hey everyone
Got a new discus on the weekend, he was only labelled 'small discus' So I was want to know if anyone could tell me what he might be? And just your general thoughts on him!

Thanks

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o268/phillip_johanna/NewDiscus.jpg

scott bowler
Mon Jun 30, 2008, 12:04 PM
hi Flip03 well i think it could be a bit of a mix of things spots,etc. for me the shape is a bit off ,it looks tunted and the eye is a bit big,there is no real defineing colour there ,but it is only young so when it grows there my be a change so give us another look in a few months ,

Merrilyn
Mon Jun 30, 2008, 01:14 PM
Good high fins on the little guy Flip. I'ts really too early to tell what he'll turn out like, but the colour and markings are good for such a young fish.

I don't think he's stunted, may just be the angle of the photograph.

He's certainly taken after his leopard spotted parent, so let's call him a leopard spot, and see if he grows into his name.

Flip03
Tue Jul 01, 2008, 01:14 PM
Thanks for your thoughts guys. I thinking it was a leopard spot but didnt want to say it out aloud just in case I was wrong.

AHC
Wed Jul 02, 2008, 10:11 PM
Hi mate, could be just the photo but he looks like he has a bit of a saddle nose/beak on him. Watch with the feeding because beefing him up quick will make this feature more prominant. Im sure this will grow out though. Nice colour too.

Hollowman
Thu Jul 03, 2008, 08:08 AM
I think it could be stunted too, but really need to know the size of it. My reasoning for my thoughts being that I would say the eye looks a bit too large for the overall size of the fish, as well as the rugby ball shape, although this might improve if it grows. It does have a saddle just above the nose, and for me, for a 'small' fish, it is showing a lot of colour and spotting, which leads me to believe the fish is much older than the size indicates.
hth

Hollowman

Flip03
Mon Jul 07, 2008, 10:44 AM
thanks for all your replies.

I just thought I would put up a better pic so I can get a better idea about the fish. I think he is about 7cm. And it does look like he has a bit of a beak. If he is stunted at all is there anything I can do?

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o268/phillip_johanna/P7070955.jpg

Hollowman
Mon Jul 07, 2008, 11:01 AM
thanks for all your replies.

If he is stunted at all is there anything I can do?

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o268/phillip_johanna/P7070955.jpg

With stunting, there is nothing you can do about it. This happened before you get him. Probably been in the fish shop for a long time.
Just feed him well, lots of clean water and he should do ok. From my experience, he won't grow fast, and the shape won't improve that much. The colour and spots might improve over time. I have found also that being stunted, they do tend to be the last in the line-up for food, therfore get pushed around and tend to be loners. This can lead to stress and illness. Keep a watch out for the first signs of this, normally hanging in the corner on its own and darkening of colour.

But it will be happy enough.

Hollowman