PDA

View Full Version : Clown loaches developing black spots on fins

weird
Tue Dec 28, 2004, 07:15 AM
I know this is a discus forum, but I also have high regard towards the members here with experience in regards to difference types of fishes.

I have checked out clown loach and loach related forums and came up with zero. Some people have reported similar problems but got no response.

Basically after I placed my loaches with my discus they have grown fast ... which I believe is due to being in desirable like discus tank conditions ... lots water changes, space to grow, high protein foods ... but one new thing they have developed and no other fish has (touch wood) after 4 weeks of noticing this, is black spots on some parts of their body and all over their fins. 6 loaches , 2 young ones and 4 older ones exhibit the same symptom ... so it is not a maturity thing.

I can't nail this down as a disease or benign dis-coloration. They do not appear to be scratching. Sorry no pics , have tried but they are too fast and the close-up pics I take are bahh!

Any ideas ? Left field or other wise might help. Thanks in advance.

kalebjarrod
Tue Dec 28, 2004, 08:11 AM
sorry dave no idea

heckelboy
Tue Dec 28, 2004, 08:39 AM
It is probably due to an incorrect diet. They eat anything and are probably eating the discus leftovers (high protein food)

weird
Tue Dec 28, 2004, 12:50 PM
Thanks heckelboy, I think I will tackle it on the diet front to start with, will re-introduce the food they use to eat before the move which was sinking tablets for bottom feeders.

Problem is some of my discus will eat anything and I have seen them attack a few tablets like these in the past.

I have been intentionly feeding them the same food as my discus. The hikari products have added vitamins and the beefheart mix has some added vitamins/vegatable matter as well ... but perhaps something is missing from their diet with is vital for an overall healthy loach "coat" - sounds like a dog or cat lol.