PDA

View Full Version : what i need to know?

evermore
Sat Dec 25, 2004, 06:49 AM
i don't own dicus but am thinking about getting some. so if someone could tell me what i need to know about them. i have a 30glong. filtation- whisper 30-60 hang-on with ugf/160PH already setup. which i was think about using. is that big enough? do they need to be in groups?how many so stress isn't a factor? compatible tank mates? i own few different fish cichlid's piranha's mainly so i do have a little experience with south american fish. use peat in my tanks with salt is that ok so if anyone could let me know what i need to know or direct me to some good information on them thanks in advance

Trebs
Sat Dec 25, 2004, 07:21 AM
Firstly, as a rule of thumb, it's 1 adult discus per 10gallons. Discus should be kept in groups of at least 6(preferably 8) to minimise aggression. For best results go for a tank that is at least 75gal in my opinion. First time I kept discus it was in a 55gal. This was okay but more water volume is benaficial.

Hang-on's work well, I wouldn't use an UGF though. If it's your first time with discus I'd recommend a bare bottom tank. A hang-on/canister combo is a good option.

As for tank mates, tetras, cories and some species of catfish are best.

kalebjarrod
Sat Dec 25, 2004, 10:12 PM
hang on backs are great, but i would do as trebs says, combine a canister, that way you can clean a filter and still keep your bacteria intact on one filter :wink:

ditch the undergravel :cry:

as for more information check out some of the other threads here, you should find just about everthing you need !

chris_d
Sat Dec 25, 2004, 10:52 PM
it's great that your thinking about joining the band wagon...but be prepared to go the the distance though. once you get hooked, those little things one you!lol

serously this is the one stop shop to get u started1

piranha's huh?...u certainly will cross out those in your tankmate list!lol

chris_d
Sat Dec 25, 2004, 10:52 PM
it's great that your thinking about joining the band wagon...but be prepared to go the the distance though. once you get hooked, those little things own you! lol

serously this is the one stop shop to get u started1

piranha's huh?...u certainly will cross out those in your tankmate list!lol