PDA

View Full Version : how to tell

buzzy
Fri Dec 24, 2004, 06:33 AM
hi im only new here so dont think my questions are too thick,is there any way to tell if discus are a pair?, i have a blue diamond and a brown discus that always hang around each other but have never spawned, is there signs to look for?

DiscusMan
Sun Dec 26, 2004, 12:13 PM
The answer to this question is that you will know only if the person you bought them off has bred that pair before or you actually get wrigglers from them.

Are you askign jsut for general interest or did you buy them as a pair and /or you are trying to breed them.

Wayne

buzzy
Mon Dec 27, 2004, 07:29 AM
thanks for that im only asking for general interest, i have 4 discus now and was wondering what to look for in terms of behaviour. hopefully i will get a pair out of them.

kalebjarrod
Mon Dec 27, 2004, 08:52 AM
welcome to the forum buzzy, glad to have ya

its hard to see pair until they pair, sort of the fun in the hobby

you may have a pair that you would like to pair up for breeding purposes, but often the fish make up thier own minds

feed them up and do regular water changes and your fish will pair of there own accord :wink:

buzzy
Mon Dec 27, 2004, 10:57 AM
thanks ryan, glad to be here, yeah i guess i'll just have to play the waiting game. atleast the good thing is if they dont breed then it is a good excuse to buy more,i have bought 4 in the last 2 weeks dam there addictive.... and expensive haha.

kalebjarrod
Tue Dec 28, 2004, 08:06 AM
addictive and expensive is it

but also satisfying :wink:

Alejandro Zamora
Sat Jan 01, 2005, 02:07 PM
Hi there, I am kind of new at this and I just subscribe to this site for a simple reason, I have two discus, but they are showing a very strange behaviour (or so I think…) I have a community tank, 2 discus, 4 clown, 5 siemens. Any way one of the discus is laying eggs which is very exiting but the other one (apparently the male) eats them as soon as the female lays the eggs:
- Is this normal? Or, my “male discus” is not a male after all?
I bought the two discus separately when they were about 5 cm. in diameter and I had them for about 2 years now and after reading many articles I am thinking; may be I did the wrong thing by keeping only 2 discus in my tank and I should’ve bough more and let them chose their own breeding partners.

Any way, do you think I may a chance breeding this pair? Or should I change the conditions of my tank and introduce more discus and see how they get along? My tank is a 200 L tank.

I will really appreciate your advise, thanks a lot.

DiscusMan
Sat Jan 01, 2005, 03:10 PM
Alejandro,

welcome to the forum.

The short answer is that is again hard to tell.

I recently had a pair of discus spawn and the male ate the eggs straight away. Now the same fish are minding eggs now that will hatch between now and lunch time.

Egg eating etc is basically due to fish being not totally happy with the situation. Assuming that you only have two fish adn that they are in fact 1 male and 1 female. Maybe they dont wont to be a pair well 1 does and 1 doesn't or maybe they are two females. You'll just have to wait and see.

If they are in fact a pair then best thing oyu could do if they keep eating them is to seperate them into their own tank.

Discus keeping is fun. Breeding them is just that bit more challenging.

Have fun and keep us informed of your progress.

Wayne

Robbies Discus
Wed Jan 05, 2005, 01:52 PM
Sorry guys, but I also just got into the discus world. I have not yet bought any discus, but was wondering, how do youtell a Male and Female apart?

buzzy
Thu Jan 06, 2005, 03:40 AM
hi thanks for the replys, will they swim togeater and sort of like play games eg. will be swimming side by side then one will dart of then other trys to catch it then then twirl around togeater then they swap and other one shoots off?? i noticed it happens when the tank lights are off and the room light is on at night.