PDA

View Full Version : done resiliconing..now how long?

1fish2fish3fish
Thu Jun 12, 2008, 03:24 AM
Hello, Ive finished resiliconing a Hex tank a week or so ago..its now sitting with water in it..ALL is good..its in my garage..my question is do I wait a certain time or or if it was to pin leak or ops.. burst would it have by now..?

thanks for the info

now I will see about doing the tank mentioned in the other post..
this Hex was "FREE" on the side of the road and alot smaller so I attempted the smaller one first..

tks Sue

Matt15
Thu Jun 12, 2008, 01:22 PM
From memory the dry time for glass silicon glue is about 48 hrs. However the longer you leave it the better so "a week or so ago" should be fine.

1fish2fish3fish
Fri Jun 13, 2008, 04:19 AM
Hi, thanks for the reply, but my question was now that i have let it dry "a week or so" and the water is in it, how long should I let it sit with the water...? its been a few days now, if its gonna leak will it do so right away for a pin hole or not..I suppose if its a bad silicone job it would have burst being filled with water..
is it safe to take the water out now and move it inside.. set it up..showing a few days filled with water no leaks and house safe?
what are some experiences of some of you... had many problems long after you think it good to set up in the house.. is it just a chance we all take..
Sue

zar
Fri Jun 13, 2008, 04:42 AM
i think it's just a risk that you have to take. no tank will last forever, it'll depend on how well you've done it and how good the silicon is you've used.
If you really wanna be sure maybe you can take it to a reputable aquarium store in your area that builds tanks and pay them to maybe inspect your work?

1fish2fish3fish
Sat Jun 14, 2008, 03:02 AM
..Hi... Yes, that might be an idea, I spoke to my Rep for Hagen international, and he said that there is a warehouse in Toronto Ontario that will redo tanks, not just Hagen tanks either..
But, seeming how its looking ok and I do feel quite confident myself about it.. Im looking to take it inside now..i feel Ive done the best job I could have.
Your right tanks dont last forever, just dont think of it that way aat the start.. hoping to get 20 yrs like one of my oldest tanks..
will get it in place and start slowly, day by day adding water.. as to let it settle in..driftwood/decor etc..
Thanks for the help.. will start the 70 gal next week..that will be a challenge to say the least..
bye for noe .Sue