PDA

View Full Version : Rose Red

TW
Sun Jun 01, 2008, 03:10 AM
Wasn't sure what this guy was, but some members here have helped me decide he is a Rose Red. He is not fully grown & because he was smaller than the other ones in the community tank, he is living for the time being in bare bottom QT with the young Heckels until big enough to move to their permanent home.

Wondered what you think of him.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/138G_523L_Discus%20Tank/000_2114.jpg
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/138G_523L_Discus%20Tank/000_2116.jpg http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/138G_523L_Discus%20Tank/000_2157.jpg http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/TankWatcher/138G_523L_Discus%20Tank/000_2138.jpg

I'm thick skinned, so don't worry. Even if you all tell me he is a terrible fish, I'll still love him anyway :roll:

Matt15
Sun Jun 01, 2008, 03:53 AM
Robyn can I ask where you purchased him from?

I ask because when I bought my San Merah they had a number of red covers including Red Alenquer's and Rose reds from the same import. All have a red cover with lighter coloured faces and a strong facial stress bar.

Personally I love the red covers, especially once they have grown to full adults as they're colours often get much stronger. :wink:

I think Robert may have bought one from the same batch too.
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16308

rwel4809
Sun Jun 01, 2008, 06:07 AM
You're right Matt... I think mine is the same as Robyn's... I got mine from a lfs in sydney, who carry quite a few discus..

My little rose red has a great personality eats loads of everything and bullys all the other fish even thought they're much bigger than him :D

R

samir
Sun Jun 01, 2008, 11:24 AM
Nice looking fish TW,
bit off topic but your heckels look in trouble ?

TW
Sun Jun 01, 2008, 11:52 AM
Hi samir

yes, so far only 1 is in trouble. But the advice, from a very respected source is to treat the lot of them with metro. I'm a little nervous. Not great timing either, as I have to go away for business for four days starting from Thursday.

Did you pick it from the picture, or did you read the other thread?

Unfortunately, I decided to house this Rose Red with the Heckels, so I guess he's in trouble now too.

I'm currently quite a worried discus mum.

Hi Mat & Robert
You're right Matt... I think mine is the same as Robyn's... I got mine from a lfs in sydney, who carry quite a few discus.. Gee, I woudn't have picked it. From the pictures, I thought Robert's very nice fish looked quite different. But the light face with promiment dark bar is very accurate description of mine. He came from Barry at BNC at Matraville. Is that who you mean, Robert? I know quite a few members here are his customers.

rwel4809
Sun Jun 01, 2008, 12:17 PM
Gee, I woudn't have picked it. From the pictures, I thought Robert's very nice fish looked quite different. But the light face with promiment dark bar is very accurate description of mine. He came from Barry at BNC at Matraville. Is that who you mean, Robert? I know quite a few members here are his customers.

actually mine came from a shop in kingsford, I'm not sure I should mention them because they're not a sponsor...

R

TW
Sun Jun 01, 2008, 12:28 PM
That's okay. You've said enought so I know who you mean. Not the same shop as mine then. Mine was sold as red alencer & fairly reasonably priced. Upon questioning the spelling, he insisted it was "alencer" not "alenquer". What was your's sold as. The last picture you posted of your fish, maybe it's just the angle or lighting, but really looked different to mine (to my eyes). Do you call yours a Rose Red?

rwel4809
Sun Jun 01, 2008, 10:01 PM
Mine's developing the black halo thingy and a little irredescence is showing over it, if you catch it in the right light so I think mine might be a San Merah - I was sold it as a San Merah/ Super Red Alenquer..

He's still only young so only time will tell...

TW
Sun Jun 01, 2008, 10:08 PM
black halo thingy Do you mean where they have the black that circles their body, following the edge of their fins? I love that look on the right fish. No sign of that on mine :( Sometimes you can see a black line separating the tail from body - but it's a "barely there" thing. Mine's young too, so maybe it will come. Or is it the black halo that makes the difference between Rose Red & San Merah? Ahh, so much to learn.

rwel4809
Sun Jun 01, 2008, 10:40 PM
black halo thingy Do you mean where they have the black that circles their body, following the edge of their fins? I love that look on the right fish. No sign of that on mine :( Sometimes you can see a black line separating the tail from body - but it's a "barely there" thing. Mine's young too, so maybe it will come. Or is it the black halo that makes the difference between Rose Red & San Merah? Ahh, so much to learn.

Yes I do mean the black that circles their body...someone might want to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the san merah is distinguised by the black halo with irredescent blue on top.. like this picture of a very handsome beast I found on a german site...

TW
Mon Jun 02, 2008, 08:20 AM
Stunning, Robert. Mine definitely does not show signs of looking this the fish you found. More a solid brownish red, with the light face & dominant facial bar. He's fed only on homemade beef heart, spirilina brine shrimp & Mal's freeze dried worms.

samir
Mon Jun 02, 2008, 01:02 PM
Hi samir
yes, so far only 1 is in trouble. But the advice, from a very respected source is to treat the lot of them with metro. I'm a little nervous. Not great timing either, as I have to go away for business for four days starting from Thursday.
Did you pick it from the picture, or did you read the other thread?

where did you post the thread TW ? I've looked all over and cant find it :?
from my experience I think one shouldn't mix heckels with other discus till they are fully grown

TW
Mon Jun 02, 2008, 01:33 PM
Hi Samir

I joined this thread http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16428&start=20 as Andrew Soh was responding to this & providing good info - so I thought my chances of getting advice from him were greater if I asked my questions here, instead of starting a new thread. He helped me a lot.

Rather than clutter up this thread with off topic talk ofsick Heckels, hope you don't mind, that I send you a PM.

Cheers, Robyn.

ivo
Fri Jun 13, 2008, 06:30 PM
I missed to view this thread completely and just saw it. Yeah, discus name can be so confusing. I was so confused about the whole leopard, leopard snakeskin name, etc when i first started. Here is the latest picture of one of my Rose Red (thats what FishRock told me). I have her for around 14 months i think (Samir probably remember that). She has not grown much but she does keep her deep red color well. Hope you like her!

TW
Sat Jun 14, 2008, 02:51 AM
She is a beautiful fish. She doesn't look quite the same as my Rose Red though. I will stall call mine Rose Red - but who really knows for sure.

ILLUSN
Sat Jun 14, 2008, 06:46 AM
My rose red pair looks like Ivo's in breeding colors they look like rwel4809 blue face and blue halo.

all the fry from 3 batches look like TW's with a black band through the eye and some even show stressbars.

I believe the genetics of the Rose reds and the San Merah are the same and just some produce better phenotypes than others. (wish my bloody pair would ythrow fry that look themselves though :( )

ivo
Sun Jun 15, 2008, 02:46 AM
hi illusn, of my two rose red the one i showed on this thread is a girl, the other one i still don't know but very likely to be a girl that never lay eggs before. this girl rose red in the picture has tried so hard and many times to pair with my other big boys, but none of them show any interest. poor thing keep laying eggs on her own. good luck with breeding your pair and hopefully they make beautiful red babies.

ILLUSN
Sun Jun 15, 2008, 02:51 AM
I think I'm going to have to cross the F1's back to mum to get the strain i want, they just keep producing solid red fish with black bars. they joys of breeding :)

good luck with yours too Ivo, hopefully yours will breed true.

TW
Sun Jun 15, 2008, 10:27 PM
My rose red pair looks like Ivo's in breeding colors they look like rwel4809 blue face and blue halo.

all the fry from 3 batches look like TW's with a black band through the eye and some even show stressbars.

I believe the genetics of the Rose reds and the San Merah are the same and just some produce better phenotypes than others. (wish my bloody pair would ythrow fry that look themselves though ) :cry: Oh well, I guess that means you don't like my little one :cry: Never mind, I love his looks anyway & wouldn't change wish to change them, except I'd like to see a black halo around the body.

ILLUSN
Sun Jun 15, 2008, 11:41 PM
TW, yours is a LOVLEY fish, just not what I'm aiming for, I REALLY wanted to lock in that white/blue halo, and was hopeing for barless fish.

still yours is VERY pretty.

ivo
Mon Jun 16, 2008, 11:07 AM
hi illusn,what you mean by white/blue halo? is it something like this picture?

TW
Mon Jun 16, 2008, 11:11 AM
TW, yours is a LOVLEY fish, just not what I'm aiming for, I REALLY wanted to lock in that white/blue halo, and was hopeing for barless fish. I figured it was something like that.

ILLUSN
Mon Jun 16, 2008, 01:48 PM
kinda, basicly what the photo rwel4809 put up shows.

my fish its only blue when in breeding colors or a VERY DARK tank, all othertimes it's white.