PDA

View Full Version : top trim/bottom trim the difference?

1fish2fish3fish
Sat May 31, 2008, 03:31 AM
Old tank picked up at auction. Rough shape ( well maybe just to me ).

odd size tank, must have been home made, came with no bottom trim, top trim was over sized.. bought.. cut and siliconed on..to do this again how exact should it be, its a 45 approx gal tank..
no cracks.. but bottom glass is not fitted well with the sides.. long sides are on top of bottom and short sides are not. is this a problem? the botton piece corners are not flush with the sides.. there must have been trim there at one point..because the corners ( squared ) are all silacone.

possibly someone put trim on and silaconed down in and it filled the holes up.. was this "ok" to do..could do it again..
tank seems fairly square..is it just a matter of trimming it up and resiliconing it again.. Oh! the glass is just a couple of hairs shy of 1/2 inch.. thick!
thinking of using a metal trim, inch or so lip..
we did frame it in wood for the bottom, fits tight on one side than the other, so a little off.. could just filling it with the silicone be ok? were talking 1/4 cm off or less...would this throw the tank off..it is also trimed with a full bottm sheet of plywood under the tank as well.. would this help with the leveling and stability.. sitting on then a metal stand..

could anyone give me some guide lines about dos and donts.. want to use this tank..guess my concern is how exact does it have to be.. can ? and does silicone play the biggest role in repairing the tank for fish use?
would pictures help ? i can post some..
thanks Sue

1fish2fish3fish
Sat May 31, 2008, 02:37 PM
can anyone help me please.. how important are the trims, top and bottom on a tank.
how exact do they have to be, tight should they be or does it matter much?
As mentioned in the post above, ( sorry if any confusion ) the glass is very thick..fairly square, but im guessing the tank was not put together properly.. looks like the sides might have been put on last, they dont rest on the bottom glass, but the front and back do..? is this ok?

please any pointers..

ILLUSN
Sun Jun 01, 2008, 02:37 AM
i pull the trims off most of my tanks, dont like a black trim atrtracting discus fry, all my breeding tanks are trimless, so i doubt it has much of a role in the tank construction.

TW
Sun Jun 01, 2008, 02:39 AM
I always get my tanks made without the trims, as I just don't like the look of them. From what my tank makers tell me, they are only there to cover the sicolon join & don't actually do anything to hold the tank together.

Hope that's right - as none of my tanks have them.

I don't know much about the importance of your other queries in the first post - never made or repaired a tank myself. You've probably done or thought of this already & I'm saying the obvious (sorry). But what if you re-silocon everything as best as you can, fill it up & leave it outside for a while & see if & where it leaks.

1fish2fish3fish
Sun Jun 01, 2008, 04:40 AM
thanks for the replys.. Ive seen tanks with no trim, but not very big tanks at that.. 30 gal tops.. I did hear that the top trim is important
I will do just that resilicone but not by taking the whole tank apart. This could be a mistake but im hoping not.

bought the siilcone, razers and acetone, going to give it a try... I will put trim on top and bottom... I guess my real concern is if its not done tight enough on the bottom trim, Im thinking that the tank will not sit flat and put pressure points in the wrong spots..thus giving me problems later on..the top trim would be much different to do..as said its just for covering the glass edge, which has to be done for the glass was not cut very well..
any other advise im all ears.. got this tank for nothing .. Its not for discus my other tank on order is.. i work at a pet store, so coat prices are fantastic for me.. if its going to be to much trouble i would just buy a tank for the goldfish.
Ive 2 tanks now set-up 55gal and a 3gal community and working on all my needs for the Discus, tank ,stand, filter system, RO, visiting breeders..etc..
thanks all.. Sue

TW
Sun Jun 01, 2008, 04:44 AM
My latest tank is 7ft, trimmless. The maker is a very reptuable & long established LFS & maker of tanks in Sydney. I don't think he would make or recommend a 7ft without trimming, if it wasn't up to the job.

It's the bracing & the thickness of the glass that I'm told is important.

But it sounds like you are up to the job at hand. All the best.

1fish2fish3fish
Sun Jun 01, 2008, 03:54 PM
Wow.. Ive never seen tanks that large with no trim.. for sale here.. would cost me a small fortune to get one..
the galss is very thick as mentioned.. so I will give it a try.. no hurry for this tank to me finished up.. thaks for the help..