PDA

View Full Version : Crossocheilus siamensis - siamese algae eater

weird
Sun Dec 19, 2004, 12:40 PM
I have 3 large pieces of driftwood all with anubia .... I only could add these a piece at a time, and I guess I never beat the algae ... with the exception of my new piece ... the leaves on the plants are covered with a not so easy to remove brown film and are slightly curling. I think this is due to not enough light and possible lack of nutrients - I am addressing this, but am thinking about employing some "contracters" to do the clean up job for me ... I think these guys look great and might be up for the task - Crossocheilus siamensis - the siamese algae eater

Do I need a school of these guys ?

Do they do fine at the 29-30 degree temp mark ?

Any one got any funky pictures of these guys of their own tanks ?

Are these guys a barb ? catfish ?

I think I saw some of these guys at SLS. I am sure Kev could pick out the right guys for me, as I heard there is a possibility of getting these guys mixed up with the flying fox, which does not eat red algae and can be aggressive.

Maybe if someone has a picture of the flying fox, it might be helpful to distinguish the two from each other.

DiscusMan
Sun Dec 19, 2004, 01:56 PM
Mate,

these do well in a discus tank. I can take some funly photos but will have to wait till the morning as it is late and lights are off :)

Trick is to buy the ones that dont have a mouth like a catfish, ie not the round sucking mouth one. There clear as mud.

Wayne

Pyroman
Sun Dec 19, 2004, 04:37 PM
http://plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=9

Towards the bottom - illustration of an SAE

kalebjarrod
Sun Dec 19, 2004, 09:49 PM
why not use some of your BN ?

you are 'KING BRISTLE NOSE" after all

weird
Mon Dec 20, 2004, 09:02 AM
lol !

I need to study up more on algae. I got the idea for the the SAE from plantgeek. I can't really tell red alage and brown algae apart ... inexperience I guess. I know the SAE is the only guy that will eat red, so thought maybe this guys would knock over either brown or red.

These shots are definitely not glamour shots, but I guess will best show the algae problem I face.

New plant is on the left.

I thought to help the plants I would leave the lights on longer , change form 4 pm to might night, to 1 pm to midnight.

Add Seachem flourish twice a week.

Additional, thought add some SAEs, maybe change the lighting to something brighter ? I have the cyclinder for CO2, just need to buy the equipment but that is something I have to hold back on for a few months.

kevkoi
Mon Dec 20, 2004, 09:09 AM
Looks like what u really need is some young bristlenose cats for that tank...

The Siamese algae eater mainly deals with the hairy black beard algae.

kev

kalebjarrod
Mon Dec 20, 2004, 09:32 AM
b nose is the way dave

go king dave, lord of the Bristles, master of algee

EQ
Tue Feb 01, 2005, 12:32 PM
becareful when choosing that fish most of the siames algee eater here are the flying fox which has more goldish brown.

the way to see the real one by looking at the black stripe and the silvery scale above the stripe.

the real siamese algee eater has a jugged black stripe instead of straight line and the scale above the black stripe more transparant and glittered.
hope that may help mate.

try ottocinclus affini and keep them in a group of 6.