PDA

View Full Version : Which Canister filter?

Lex
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 03:18 AM
Hey guys,

Currently i have a eheim 2213 canister for my standard 4 foot tank. I am thinking of getting a new filter for it coz it seems the water is getting abit dirty too fast. ANy suggestions of wot filter should i get?

Cheers

Cory21
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 03:20 AM
I love the new Fluval 04 canisters. Thats all I use actually. So I'd say go Fluval, even though I was told Eheims are top of the line.

Proteus
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 03:21 AM
Eheims are great, as are Fluvals...

depends on the size of the tank, and how much you are willing to spend...

Lex
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 03:29 AM
well I think I got the eheim for $200 but it was a long time ago... dont know how much it is now. As for the tank size, it is 120cmx35cmx45cm i dimension. Probably willing spend $200 under is my budget.

cheers

discusdude
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 04:13 AM
Check out Jebos they are very good cannister filters. I have one for my 3ft tank. It turns over 900 litres per hour. And it only cost $130 http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/ has very low prices also

Cheers
Alistair

flukes
Mon Feb 23, 2004, 09:20 AM
Have you heard of the Humburg matten filter?? a simple design but if done correctly it can be just as effective as a cannister filter for 1/10th of the price.
It all comes downto working out the surface area of the mat and the flow rate over the matt anyway take a look atthis website for a bit of insight.

http://www.tomgriffin.com/aquasource/mattenfilter.shtml

Take a look it is a very good read

Scott

Proteus
Mon Feb 23, 2004, 09:28 AM
Great article flukes...

personally I have every type of filtration method is action on my tanks...
Hang on Backs (Aquaclears), Internals, Sponge, canisters... and my favourite... mini-reef/sump set ups...

flukes
Mon Feb 23, 2004, 12:02 PM
yeah love the sumps but even in my 3ft i have 3 filters, i have a eheim 2213, undergravel and a sponge filter. I guess i am just filter crazy!

Scott

Proteus
Mon Feb 23, 2004, 08:53 PM
...as has been said many times before...

You cant have too much filtration

just as long as the water movement isnt too much...

Pyroman
Mon Feb 23, 2004, 11:25 PM
Let me rephrase that good friend...

You can't have too much GOOD filtration...

The wrong types of filtration can be very detrimental to your fish.

Mattzilla
Tue Mar 02, 2004, 02:54 AM
i have heard that undergravel fliters are not suitable, or desirable, when keeping discus. this is because they trap all the crap and nasties in the tank. idealy you want to remove these nasties etc from the tank to provide super clean water.
jmo

i run a canister filter with a pre filter sponge, and a double sponge filter

Mattzilla
Tue Mar 02, 2004, 02:56 AM
and the blue sponge here is the pre filter sponge on my canister filter

Proteus
Tue Mar 02, 2004, 02:57 AM
is that a Nemo Vegie clip???

:wink:

lol