PDA

View Full Version : 5" Sump for 6" Discus Tank

TomNS
Wed May 07, 2008, 02:25 AM
I guess the question is how big is too big ? :D

I had wanted to make a big sump for my discus tank and I was working out the cheapest way to do it.

I was looking at having mate tig up some ali and make a big container with some baffles - I scrapped that on price was going to be way too expensive.

Looked at making it out of acrylic - again was expensive, honestly it is probably the best option give the weight. Basically I was too cheap and lazy to learn how to work with acrylic.

I found a 5" fish tank on ebay that was local - they were a bit rough but not too bad - was certainly adequate for a sump (well so I thought - more about this later)

I purchased some glass baffles cut to size and sectioned it off into 3 main compartments of media and one pump return compartment. The baffles were cheap $10 each.

I glued up the baffles with the help of clamps and spacers (cd cases etc, masking tape and some timber I had). I also pulled the corners off the tank which were inadequate and glued some new ones on (except 1 - more about this later :x ) I leak tested everything and it was all good, final wash down and she was done.

I attached a piece of 20mm form ply to the stand underneath the tank after I had upgraded some of its supports - glued and screwed some studs to the metal stand for some additional strength.

I slid the new sump full of media underneath and it only just fitted - I had not measured the tank I got but it was slightly larger than I was told which has made it a very tight fit - I only have about 10cm above the sump which is really not enough my arm has trouble getting in and I can't touch the bottom of the sump. Also I haven't got quite enough space for the existing lights - will have to change them out for some slimline units - not to worry.

My two main media baskets are about 50cmx45cmx40cm high and the initial basket it about 20cmx45cmx50cm. I used most of the old media that I kept water circulating over while I did the change over.

The dramas

1. the tank has a leak in the end compartment since moving it - the silicon job on that corner was poor and I hope my sealing of it has fixed it - otherwise I will have to drain and remove it. As a result I have the return pump jammed into the end media area with all the bio balls.

2. I haven't got foam under it to allow it to flex - I need to fix that.

3. Space is very tight - I am going to have to make a trolley and a very thin board to sit it on with a handle system on the end so I can part the trolley up at the end and pull the sump out onto it for cleaning and service - if I had got the height a better organised I would have avoided that.

Things to do yet.

1. Return pumps and circulation pump - on my old sump I had a very small fountain pump (from bunnings) to keep the water recirculating around itself at all times - it would sit next the the return pump and pump the water back to the top of the sump - need to set the same thing up here.

2. Power heads in each section - help the water fullly circulate in each section - need 2 little power heads

3. Hose clamps need to put hose clamps on very connector due the the problem of having to drain it for removal - need to misimise the number of times I am going to move this out for "service"

4. Lights - going to install some slim line fluros under the main tank to light the sump - keep the pests away and makes a nice feature of it.

6. Reinstall 2x heaters and my water low relay cut off in the sump.

5. Make the trolley, sump handle remover thingy and get the foam under the sump tank.

Costs

5" tank $99
Glass panels $50
Aquarium glue $10
Media bioballs 2000 of $270
Hoses and fittings $40

Total $469

Existing hardware
Pumps and fittings, lights and lids, had the old cut off switch

Sorry for the long post but I have attached some photos and hopefully someone can learn from my post.

Cheers
Tom

TomNS
Wed May 07, 2008, 02:27 AM
more photos

TomNS
Wed May 07, 2008, 02:30 AM
more photos

TomNS
Wed May 07, 2008, 02:31 AM
last one

clinny_d
Sun May 11, 2008, 04:03 PM
looks decent. i was going to do something much the same as this, but i was going to have more compartments.
i like it, it looks like it could go well. tell
me how it runs

Matt15
Mon May 12, 2008, 02:24 AM
Tom thats one huge sump mate... and even better.... you DIY.
I'd also love to know how it goes. Be sure to post up some pics in the near future....;)

TomNS
Mon May 12, 2008, 02:08 PM
thanks guys, will let you know how it goes,

I was going to go more compartments but in the end apathy got the better of me.

Seems to be going well now, have added some slim line lights in above it and added my return line to keep the water flowing if the main pump shuts down due to low water, also got my little FBF running and dumping into it now.

I am heading OS soon as I wanted the tank to have bullet proof filtration for my house sitter

Cheers
Tom