PDA

View Full Version : Breeding in a community tank?

Mitch
Tue May 06, 2008, 07:29 AM
Hi, I need some advice. Ive got about 6-8 adults mixed into me 5ft community tank and they keep spitting out new broods about every 2 weeks and now ive got babies every where. Am i best off to let them grow out in the community and let the discus pick a few off, or can they survive well on there own if I seperate them, even when they are tiny.
Thanks Mitch

G_TAMMA
Tue May 06, 2008, 12:22 PM
Everyone is different but I find growing out in a separate tank for best results but catching them at a young age can be difficult in a community tank. What sort of fish (catfish) are they? Pics are always good too :D .

Cheers

Mitch
Thu May 08, 2008, 06:41 AM
They are just bristlenose cats but at least 50 of them. If I seperate them to another tank or fry net what do I feed them at that age. All I currently feed my cats is zuchinee and left over beef heart, but the look too small to be eating any of that, so I asume they must be eating alge. The problem is if I move them to a spare tank there wont be any alge in it for a while. Is there anything I can feed them at this size? (5mm-20mm)
I have tred taking pics but they hardly show up in the photo with my crappy camera.
Thanks Mitch. :D

Matt15
Thu May 08, 2008, 07:25 AM
Mitch i've seen a powdered food which is great for BN fry, however its highly recommend you only use this stuff on a bare bottom tank.

Otherwise I would suggest Cucumber and Zucchini weighted down or micro worms.

Marto
Sun May 11, 2008, 01:09 AM
Hi Mitch,
Steamed zucchini and algae wafers are the way to go. I have found the best method is to remove the fry from cave/dad a week after hatching directly into a floating fry saver or two. No need to feed until their orange "gut" is used up.
The fry savers can be made from an icecream container with 2 windows cut on opposite sides, a couple of strips of foam for floatation, some fly screen to cover the windows, and a bit of silastic to keep it together.
Cheers,
M.

Mitch
Tue May 13, 2008, 06:04 AM
Thanks for all the help everyone! Now I just need to figure out which little crevise of the tank that they are breeding in so I can try and pull them out early. Don't like my chances. :lol: