PDA

View Full Version : First Batch of wrigglers

DiscusMan
Sat Dec 18, 2004, 04:39 AM
Well,

after many months of long hours caring for these buggers i have finally had a pait of Goldens get to wrigglers. They hatched last night between 9:00pm and 10:30pm. In all there is between 50 - 75 wrigglers at this stage. I will try to take a photo a bit later but i don't hold much hope as to how it turns out.

Finally

Wayne

kalebjarrod
Sat Dec 18, 2004, 04:48 AM
good stuff wanye

pics when possible

DiscusMan
Sat Dec 18, 2004, 04:51 AM
OK worked out how to 1 use the manual focus on my digital camera and these are the results.

You can see the little buggers on the bottom of the tank there is about 8 stuck on the glass below where the eggs where but the parents seem content to let them rest on the bottom of the tank. I am unsure as to if this is a good or bad thing, comments welcome.

Wayne

DiscusMan
Sat Dec 18, 2004, 05:04 AM
shoudl have posted this in the breeding section. :oops:

Wayne

kalebjarrod
Sat Dec 18, 2004, 05:10 AM
done! :wink: P.S nice wrigglers mate

jim from sydney
Sat Dec 18, 2004, 10:42 AM
Wayne.......well done.....i take a lot of photos too, it is not easy especially on a fixed focal length. However you do need a fixed focal length to minimise the effect of the reflection of the glass....yours are looking ok....hope the parents dont eat the wrigglers....can we have some update pictures in a few days??.....Jim.

parasite
Sat Dec 18, 2004, 01:50 PM
Congrats on the wrigglers .... keep us posted and best of luck

CMDiscus
Sun Dec 19, 2004, 01:36 AM
Discusman,
If both parents are derivatives from Pigeon Blood there will be a possiblity to loose all babies within few days,most of these parent fish don't body feed their young,if possible find foster parents for them immediately.

The best solution to breed Marlboro red is to cross with a red tomato or red alencer,otherwise,the chances to have a successful batch is rare.

Similarly,to breed good pigeon blood you must X it with a red turquoise,so the offsprings will have better striation with red base.

Pigeon blood X cobalt you will get PB with pepper dust all over.

PB X Ocean Green is worth trying for they produce white diamond (PB with white striation or white pearl) but,you need to do selective breeding for few times.

DiscusMan
Sun Dec 19, 2004, 06:50 AM
Discusman,
If both parents are derivatives from Pigeon Blood there will be a possiblity to loose all babies within few days,most of these parent fish don't body feed their young,if possible find foster parents for them immediately.

The best solution to breed Marlboro red is to cross with a red tomato or red alencer,otherwise,the chances to have a successful batch is rare.

Similarly,to breed good pigeon blood you must X it with a red turquoise,so the offsprings will have better striation with red base.

Pigeon blood X cobalt you will get PB with pepper dust all over.

PB X Ocean Green is worth trying for they produce white diamond (PB with white striation or white pearl) but,you need to do selective breeding for few times.

Thanks for all this information.

I had 9 goldens in the same tank just growing them up. These 2 laid the eggs on the glass so i am just seeing what happens, no expectations of anything.

I will get into my selective breeding once i have some discus that breed so i can sex the fish and try combos then. I have over 100 fish here that are all still very young so in a few more months well try some stuff out, but until then i am extremely happy that i have been shown that i am at least looking after my fish well enough that they think it is ok to breed. Of course i will be upset if thse young die but i am going to try my best to make sure they don't.

Just for interest sake what do you think makes a good foster parent and whats to say that i dont choose a fish put it in with them and they eat all the babies?

Anyways the wrigglers are now starting to try to free swim with the parents keeping the 1 or 2 of them firmly placed back onto the glass. By tomorow i will have free swimmers hopefully.

Hmmmm i better start to think about making my artermia hatchery. Where is that empty soda bottle again :D

Well i better get out and make sure i dont overflow my storage drum again after just finishing my water changes. Getting sick of mopping out the garage here.

Wayne

CMDiscus
Sun Dec 19, 2004, 10:31 AM
O.K,let's wait to see what happen after 3 days,if you are lucky enough they will stick to the parents' body or they fail.

You meant the parent stocks are golden discus ? I thought they were marlboro red without red colorfed .

Anything else you will like to know I will find out from my friend and pass on here.

DiscusMan
Sun Dec 19, 2004, 11:12 AM
hmmmmm....

I have a tank of malboros here that arent colour fed and they are still red. Not sure what type of malboros need to be colorfed to make them red but i assure you my parents are goldens. They are pigeon based goldens thou. They have been feed a lot of Tetra bits before i got them thou and the more redish colour comes form the red colour of the tetra bits.

So if anyone thinks that tetra bits dont colour the fish i have proof a plenty here. A tank of fish were of the fish went somewhere else and were fed on tetra bits, rest fed on blood worms only and the colour difference is huge.

Oh and the parents have spent all night while we were out moving all the babies form the floor of the tank to having about 90% stuck on the side glass now. Busy fishies.

Wayne

CMDiscus
Sun Dec 19, 2004, 11:29 AM
Yes,Tetrabit is one of the feeds to enrich red coloration,if your golden is from the X of pigeon base,the % of succesful batch is greater.as I said before after 3 days' freeswim we then can discuss. I wish you Good Luck.

DiscusMan
Tue Dec 21, 2004, 03:26 PM
So far so good

All babies are free swimming and eating off the parents. My fish room after sitting dormant since i built it ( breeding wise ) has erupted in the last couple of days. I have fish pairing up everywhere and laying eggs etc. Damn time to extend :). I have many fish and not enough room to pair them all off so things will have to wait and i will select which ones to run on.

Oh well back to spend many more hours watching this fish marvel unfold.

Wayne

jim from sydney
Wed Dec 22, 2004, 10:04 AM
Wayne......all good things will come to those who have patience....never say die........well done keep us informed Pal. Jim

DiscusMan
Tue Dec 28, 2004, 05:31 AM
OK,

so now the fry are about 9 days after hatching. There is abotu 50 fry all attached and eating off the parents and growing at a rapid rate.

I have been feeding them with artemia, i think i have at least. there are in a 3*18*18 at moment and i have just dropped a fair bit of artemia into the tank on a couple of occasions.

So when do I remove the parents from the tank, I am moving the parents so they are actually in my breeding tanks as they did this in a growing out tank doh!.

I have got about 3 different types of food prepared to give the babies at this stage jsut dont want to move the parents away to fast.

Opinions needed please people.

Wayne

jim from sydney
Tue Dec 28, 2004, 06:41 AM
Wayne......i like to help you but have no experience in breeding our little friends.....i am listening to your experience......anyway what type of fish food is "artemia" ??? home made brew????? or bought???

Jim.

DiscusMan
Tue Dec 28, 2004, 07:06 AM
Jim,

From what i know artemia is baby brine shrimp. You buy these large tins of the eggs and then hatch them in salt water and the brinew shrimp then hatch.

There is a couple of stages of brine shirmp growth and i think the first one is called artemia. :)

http://www.aquaria.info/faqs/artemia.htm

that link talks about it more.

I also have a culture of daphnia going which used to be a very popular food for baby discus as well so im going to give them all to my babies.

Will put photos of what they are up to as soon the camera batteries are charged. Got flattened takign all thos xmas piccies.

Wayne

Edit: Well i just read that page and artemia is jsut another name for brine shirmp and nauplii is the baby stage that you feed to your fish. There clear as mud :)

jim from sydney
Tue Dec 28, 2004, 07:23 AM
Wayne......thanks for that info .....were the heck are you man, i love to see to babies of yours sometime.....possible?????
Jim

DiscusMan
Tue Dec 28, 2004, 11:15 PM
OK here is a shot of the fry i took about 10 minutes ago.

pastaboy
Thu Dec 30, 2004, 02:31 PM
Awesome pic! Wayne. I'm Richard by the way. I haven't yet been successful in raising fry but the only problem with leaving parents with fry, from what I have read is that they can strip to much of the parents protective slime coating thus causing problems with infections etc. Not 100% but would keep a close eye on the parents skin just in case.

jim from sydney
Thu Dec 30, 2004, 11:02 PM
Wayne.......some shot man :!: :!: :!: :!: ...are you with them INSIDE the tank????

thanks for the photo....................keep them coming......

Jim

Essayons89
Wed Jan 05, 2005, 11:03 AM
Congrats on the baby discus Wayne, that is a great picture of them. :)

How are they doing now?

Bryan