PDA

View Full Version : Blue Rams

Chris McMahon
Fri Dec 17, 2004, 08:42 AM
Got 2 pair of Blue Rams from G&S today for my small planted community tank. :D

I'll take a few photos once they settle in. If they do well over Christmas I might get a few more. I'm also considering Golden Rams.

Anyone got any other suggestions / tips / etc?

weird
Sat Dec 18, 2004, 12:57 AM
Kewl, can't wait for the pictures. They are so cute, are they doing mock battles yet ?

Chris McMahon
Sat Dec 18, 2004, 01:05 AM
are they doing mock battles yet ?If you mean hiding in the plants, then yes, yes they are. :wink:

weird
Sat Dec 18, 2004, 09:43 AM
Hiding ? maybe their hiding so one can jump out at the other one ??? :twisted:

DiscusMad
Thu Jan 06, 2005, 02:53 PM
buddies

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/files/img_0526.jpg

jim
Thu Jan 06, 2005, 10:27 PM
wow...that's a very nice female blue ram you got there

chris
Fri Jan 07, 2005, 09:59 AM
I like the look of those Blue Rams. Are to totally good with discus. Do they get aggressive during spawing, I take it they are a chiclid, how big do they get, what do they cost.
Im just setting up a new 5 foot tank looking for some new tank mates, something a bit different......

Chris McMahon
Fri Jan 07, 2005, 10:26 AM
how big do they get, what do they cost.Around 5-6cm. $9-$12. Females are harder to get. I'm told they don't travel well, so sourcing them locally after they have settled in for a week or two should minimise losses.

Robbies Discus
Fri Jan 07, 2005, 11:53 AM
does anyone know what other fish is with that blue ram?

DiscusMad
Fri Jan 07, 2005, 11:56 AM
its some sort of turq
the shop owner didn't know what the perents were

DiscusMad
Fri Jan 07, 2005, 11:57 AM
or are you talking about the catfish?

Robbies Discus
Sat Jan 08, 2005, 04:11 AM
nah I was actually talking bout the blue ram :oops: oh how embarassing :oops: Never seen a blue ram b4 then went and searched them and that's when I saw the opic and realised that it was the blue ram i was talking bout on here :oops: oh well :d

DiscusMad
Sat Jan 08, 2005, 12:55 PM
lol its ok

Del
Mon Apr 11, 2005, 03:23 AM
I agree that they are just a lovely fish. :D

I bought a male and female blue ram. The male chased the female relentlessly for 24 hours then up and died, so now I only have the female. I was thinking about getting another 3 females (as they are soooooooooo friendly) and no males.

Do I really need a male? I hate to see the girls harassed... Any opinions?

I have a 3 foot planted tank with 2 small discus and a dozen tetras.

Nathan
Wed Mar 22, 2006, 05:44 AM
i have 2 females and 3 males in a community tank, they have spawned i think 5 times now, i also have two golden rams i have found the male golden ram is very territorial and becomes quite agressive if other fish are near it. the blue rams do chase each other now and then but theyve settled in it took about a month or so though. there very easy to keep ive aslo found.

Nathan

parkap
Wed Mar 22, 2006, 01:05 PM
Nathan,

What are your water parameters? Did you do anything to encourage them? What did you feed the babies and how did they go in the community tank? Or did you take them out?

p.

steph
Thu Mar 23, 2006, 02:07 AM
I love blue rams, they got me into cichlids in the first place :)

They normally pair up fairly easily and each pair holds its own little territory, I've had 2 pairs in a standard 4fter with out problems, just a lot of face offs at the border but no damage. They spawn in the open on rock or a pit in the gravel and will protect their eggs & fry from others - unless they eat them first :(

Rams often require very soft water for the eggs to be viable in a spawn - like < 80 ppm hardness, ph ~6.5 is ok. Babies are really really tiny, and need microscopic food to start with, like green water or vinegar eels, BBS is too big initially. Mine spawned frequently but i never was able to raise fry for more than a few days.. bloody frustrating fish!

They are super cute little fish. :D

Cheers

Steph

Noddy65
Thu Mar 23, 2006, 02:37 AM
Mine spawned agin this am. Im gonna pull half the eggs and incubate them, Ive got microworms all ready to go for the little fry.

Ill keep everyone up to date.

Mike

sharn
Thu Mar 23, 2006, 12:26 PM
i had a gold ram spawn once, id moved all the fish (rummies, cories etc) out into a holding bin while i did my tank makeover. went to have a look later that night and what did i find? eggs! 1/4 was fertile and the male was guarding them but ate them the next night as i had to remove some of the other fish. the cories and BN didnt touch the eggs at all but im sure they could have got through the male, he wasnt too protective. it must have been from the fresh water that was already in there (it was my aging bin). then that female died :'( but i was super stoked id got a fertile spawn.

good luck with your breeding guys :D