PDA

View Full Version : My stocking..

Andypandy123
Sat Apr 26, 2008, 10:23 AM
Hi i was wondering about my stocking of my 50 gal (189L), Here's the list:

2 Checkerboard/Blue turqs
2 BN

I was wondering if i could safely add 20 Rummy noses (at least that amount) and 2 more of the Checkerboard/Blue turqs? and 6 Juvi Blue Rams Once they have paired up will move on pair to breeding tank and leave the others in this tank.

My Filter is a cannister filter rated for 300 L with a 1000l/H turn over rate.
And i do 2-3 30% Water changes a week (Hoping to go down to once a week when discus are adults...) Thanks in Advance. :D

Mr Discus
Sat Apr 26, 2008, 10:51 AM
Hi Andy,

Mate I would think that would be fine. If you work at roughly 10gal per discus, then you have 10gal left over for other small fish.

Given the water changes you do and the size of the filter you have, it should be fine. Just introduce everything in intervals. Meaning, introduce the Rummy Noses, then wait a couple of weeks for the filter to catch up to the bio load, then introduce the discus, then wait a couple of weeks again before introducing the rams.

Just keep an eye on everyone as you go.

I have a 3ft tank also, and currently have 1 x Red Turk, 1 x Cobalt, 2 x FOTU's, 3 x SAE's, 2 x Whiptails, 15 x Cardinals & 1 x Clown Loach. I am still going to introduce 2 more discus before I am done!

Andypandy123
Sat Apr 26, 2008, 11:50 AM
You have a 3 ft tank with all those fish and two more discus? I thought 4 was the max for my tank are you plaining on upgrading later?

Mr Discus
Sun Apr 27, 2008, 02:41 AM
My tank is approx 65gal when I include the volume that the filter takes. My 3ft is a 36" x 18" x 24" (2ft tall), so it is 6" taller than the average 3ft tank.

So at 65gal I will have 6 discus (at 10 gal per discus), then I will have 5gal left over for what I already have.

It is mainly my filter that will let me do this, as I have an Aqua One Aquis 2250 UV filter, which has a huge capacity compared to similar models. It holds close to 20L just in the filter alone. So it has a huge bio area for bacterial growth and a good flow rate. My tank is also moderately planted, and this helps alot as the plants act as filters as well.

I have been keeping aquariums for approx 12 years now, and you will find that mathematics is only there as a rough guide (when it comes to stocking levels etc). Things can change the mathematical equations, like the size and flowrate of the filters used, whether the tank is planted or not etc.

The guides are there as just that - a guide. Sometimes different parameters let you push the boundaries. Many members here keep more discus in their tanks than what is recommended, but they can do it because they know what it takes and what their bio-systems can handle.

You will be fine with the stock that you want to add.

Out of curiosity, what are your parameters? (Ph, Temp, Lighting etc?)

Andypandy123
Sun Apr 27, 2008, 05:44 AM
My Temp is at 31, My Lighting is just 2 39W T5's (Thinking about upgrading later when i get funds) and my ph is about 6.8 last time i checked. No C02 Might try DIY because i cant afford pressurized. anything else?

Mr Discus
Sun Apr 27, 2008, 07:32 AM
Sounds good. Each to their own mate there is no magic formula for equipment or water parameters - unless you are trying to achieve something in particular.

If you want your plants to grow better maybe throw in another T5 Growlux bulb or something at least in the red spectrum. But not overly necessary if your plants are fine and healthy as is.

CO2 is not necessary. I am not using it and my plants are growing very well - all it does is make your plants grow faster and sometimes drops your Ph a little.

Sounds like you have a neat little setup - I looks forward to seeing some more pics as it matures in the future Andy!