PDA

View Full Version : blue paint on tanks?????

jim from sydney
Wed Dec 15, 2004, 01:07 AM
i am setting-up a new tank for discus 6x2x2. most breeders like to paint the back/bottom with some kind of sea-blue colour paint.
questions......1.what reason? 2.what paint?. 3. is it permanent? 4. what if i don't paint, will breeding changes be reduced???? :?:

flukes
Thu Dec 16, 2004, 10:47 AM
The reason for the paint is too stop algea. The reason for blue is so it will reduce peppering on pigeon bloods and will bring out bett colors on some strains..

kalebjarrod
Thu Dec 16, 2004, 10:50 AM
they also use colours other than black because fry are attrached to black surfaces

i use normal quailty spray paint (when thier are no fish in the tank) and it works well

razor blades get it off easy!

Mattzilla
Thu Dec 16, 2004, 02:32 PM
i use a high gloss enamle paint...at least three coats... i prefer sky blue or i think the last colour i used was mediteranian blue.... a light blue is better than a dark blue i think

Chafule
Fri Dec 17, 2004, 04:04 AM
is there a special paint to use? i would have through paint would be toxic to fish?

kalebjarrod
Fri Dec 17, 2004, 08:25 AM
paint is toxic to fish hence the reason you spray the back of the tank

you also SPRAY THE TANK WHEN IT IS EMPTY

never get spary drift in your tank this will kill

i also do two to three coats

i find most quailty spray paints work, (cheap ones always look shit)

Chris McMahon
Fri Dec 17, 2004, 08:47 AM
paint is toxic to fish hence the reason you spray the back of the tank

you also SPRAY THE TANK WHEN IT IS EMPTY

never get spary drift in your tank this will kill

i also do two to three coatsThat's why I recommend people use a small sponge roller and a small tin of paint rather than spraycans. No chance of drift. You can get "sample size" plastic trays and rollers in Bunnings for $2. Throw them away when finished.

Trebs
Sat Dec 18, 2004, 03:03 AM
I used water based paint on the outside. It worked pretty well. Wait for a warm dry day to do it though. It rained for a week and took ages to dry. Also once the back is painted be careful as filter pipes, etc can stick to the back of the tank with raised temps.

Mattzilla
Sat Dec 18, 2004, 03:16 AM
"That's why I recommend people use a small sponge roller and a small tin of paint rather than spraycans. No chance of drift. You can get "sample size" plastic trays and rollers in Bunnings for $2. Throw them away when finished"

that is EXACTLY what i do and it works really well and is so easy

jim from sydney
Sat Dec 18, 2004, 11:00 AM
thanks guys......the roller seems the safest to me with a sample can as i hate to buy too much and throw away later. i didnt know that blue paint reduces algea growth....interesting, why is that???? if the light is overhead????

Jim

Mattzilla
Sat Dec 18, 2004, 04:09 PM
i didn't know it reduces aglea growth either...where did you hear that???

jim from sydney
Sun Dec 19, 2004, 09:02 AM
The reason for the paint is too stop algea. The reason for blue is so it will reduce peppering on pigeon bloods and will bring out bett colors on some strains..

Mat.......check this. Jim

kalebjarrod
Sun Dec 19, 2004, 09:20 AM
i have never heard of this jim

maybe scott can elaborate? i'd love to know the science behind it

DiscusMan
Sun Dec 19, 2004, 01:54 PM
I have painted the back of my tank inside ( 6*2*2.5) with one little sample can from bunnings. THey even mix the paint as well in teh sample can so you can get any colour you want for heaps cheap.

My tank is also and i am ashamed to say, covered on the back with a fair amount of algae. If blue paint does in fact reduce the growth of algae i would hate to see it without it.

Wayne

PS need longer arms to scrub this large tank at the back so if anyone wants to come and help :)

kalebjarrod
Sun Dec 19, 2004, 09:22 PM
personally i can't see the reasons why it would work

1. the paint ani't in contact with the algee so it can't affect it that way
2. it won't affect the amount of light the algee recives
3. it can't reduce the algees food source

am i missing somthing?

chrissyoscar
Mon Dec 20, 2004, 05:07 AM
If you used green paint then it could camouflage it.

jim from sydney
Tue Dec 21, 2004, 09:43 AM

Flukes.....can you enlarge a little on this "algea" scenario????? We are all a bit at sixes and sevens over this.
Also (excuse my ignorance please) what is "peppering on pigeon bloods"
I have 14 young pigeon bloods to go into the new setup so i better find out what this is.

Jim

kalebjarrod
Tue Dec 21, 2004, 09:59 AM
peppering is the little black spots on pidgeons jim

i like 'em, i think they add character, heaps of people hate 'em

dreamer
Tue Dec 21, 2004, 10:02 AM
peppering are those black speckles on the body, they looks like pepper hence peppering :)

i think pb is best to keep in barebottom tank with light-coloured background, avoid black or any dark color at all cost :p this will make the peppering worst!!

jim from sydney
Tue Dec 21, 2004, 10:13 AM
peppering is the little black spots on pidgeons jim

i like 'em, i think they add character, heaps of people hate 'em

i agree it looks great and interesting and as some have more peppering than others it makes it even more interesting to compare between them. anyway dont we just love them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And what do the wise men say.....
"beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

kalebjarrod
Tue Dec 21, 2004, 09:38 PM
i agree jim

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder, :wink: