PDA

View Full Version : guppies / swords?????

jim from sydney
Mon Dec 13, 2004, 01:36 AM
Hi Guys

i am new to discuss and have some 3 month old ones given to me a week ago.. 17 in total
i have them in a 135 litre tank with some guppy fry and some sword fry both only a few weeks old (total about30) , and basically because of lack of space elsewhere.

Is this a problem???? the discus seem a little unsettled or shy.

Jim.

jim
Mon Dec 13, 2004, 02:05 AM
ops....guppy fry and sword fry.... a great food source for discus :-)

kalebjarrod
Mon Dec 13, 2004, 09:19 AM
they can be a bit jumpy for baby discus

they also make great food for adults :wink:

i would say no to the idea of livebearers with the big D

Proteus
Mon Dec 13, 2004, 11:39 AM
Swordtails & Guppies, will happily go on doing there thing in most water types, however, they prefer harder water pH7+ (this is purely a preference though). As for the elevated temps that is no problem.

Being that they are fairly active is where I see the main problem lies, but, again, some Discus wont care in the slightest, others will freak out...

sorry, cant really give an answer to that one, however personally I would try and avoid it if at all possible.

jim from sydney
Mon Dec 13, 2004, 12:02 PM
Proteus...thanks.
i have moved the guppies and some swords.
the discus are "jumpy" to say the least and hence will give the rest of the babs swords to a little friend next door.......just to be safe i dont want my swords to get too upset for too long

Jim.

jim from sydney
Tue Dec 14, 2004, 01:43 AM
they can be a bit jumpy for baby discus

they also make great food for adults :wink:

i would say no to the idea of livebearers with the big D

Kalebjarrod......you were spot-on. discus were a bit jumpy and have settled down a lot since the live bearers have been removed....thanks for the help. :wink:

regards...Jim

kalebjarrod
Tue Dec 14, 2004, 09:03 AM
glad i could help

pitty though

imagine a bigg school of guppies and a school of discus in a 10 x 3 x 3 tank

planted of course :wink:

jim from sydney
Tue Dec 14, 2004, 11:54 PM
woooooooooh.......what a great viewing that would be.

i am setting-up a larger tank over the hols. 6x2x2 all discuss with some selected guppies mainly to eat the scraps ...............should be fun :P

leanne31
Wed Jan 26, 2005, 01:27 AM
I have some different coloured platys in with mine i find them more placid the females have babies every month and i think its a good food source for the discus even tough i dont like to see them chase the babies down and eat them its only natural i suppose