PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Seasons?

chris@yen
Sat Dec 11, 2004, 04:20 PM
Hi fellas,

me again. Just wondering, what are the discus breeding seasons/cycles? The same pair that just lost their hatchlings last week have just laid another lot of eggs?

Is this normal behaviour, or am I just lucky? Will they keep laying eggs so regularly?

I haven't had a chance to isolate them into another tank. Should I remove the other fish, or will that scare the pair into eating the eggs?

Thanks.

Chris.

dreamer
Sat Dec 11, 2004, 09:35 PM
once they breed ...they will keep breeding every week or so ...

chris@yen
Sun Dec 12, 2004, 03:41 AM
once they breed ...they will keep breeding every week or so ...

Kewl! How long will this keep going for? Should I get them a dedicated tank and just let them keep pumping out the fry?

Sean
Sun Dec 12, 2004, 11:28 PM
Yeah, I agree with week to 10 days after they have eaten fry/eggs (if your pair are like mine!). I have noticed that if they do not 'come in' to spawn within this time assuming there are frequent w/c etc., if I take out the spawning pipe (I use a PVC pipe) fpr a couple of days - give it a good wash and return it to the tank then the fish spawn either later that day or the next day. Good luck with your pair.

jim from sydney
Wed Dec 15, 2004, 01:15 AM
Sean.......do you have more luck with a PVC pipe or terra cotta pots??? PVC is cheaper and looks better too i think.

Jim.

Sean
Wed Dec 15, 2004, 03:56 AM
Hi Jim

I did a little expt - wouldn't stand up to too much scrutiny though- where I put an upturned terracotta plant pot and a PVC pipe in the same aquarium and the pair chose the PVC pipe - trick is to use something as a top - I used a screw cap from a 20lt drum. Otherwise the fry at wriggler stage fall into the pipe. Also I think that not leaving the pipe in all the time is a good idea - especially for irregular spawners. My fish prefered the heater cover to a pot one time, which got me thinking about the PVC pipe.
All the best
Sean

chris@yen
Wed Dec 15, 2004, 12:41 PM
They did it again... they dropped eggs in the community tank for the third time this month.

I feel so bad for not getting them their own space... i've just been so busy...

Do you think partitioning a 4foot tank will work? Or will it stress the pair too much?

Thanks for your advice.

Sean
Wed Dec 15, 2004, 11:39 PM
Partitioning is worth a try - it is exciting when you get your first batch of fry (even if they end up dinner for the parents)

jim from sydney
Wed Dec 15, 2004, 11:44 PM
Sean......these PVC tubes what size in diam. do you think is best.... and how do you keep them in place in your tank, after-all they need to be able to be removed easily for cleaning????
regards.....Jim

Sean
Wed Dec 15, 2004, 11:59 PM
Hi Jim
I use a PVC pipe approx 5 cm in diameter. There would be many ways of getting the pipe to stand up securely in the tank, I use an upturned very small terracotta flower pot as a base and a drum lid as a top - looks pretty ugly but does the trick - there are caps you can get from Bunnings which would look better

Trebs
Thu Dec 16, 2004, 02:19 AM
They'll keep spawning as long as conditions are right. Once they raise a fry on the body for a month or so they tend to wait longer and longer for the next spawn.

CMDiscus
Thu Dec 16, 2004, 08:46 AM
Hello! mates,

Discus is under the classification of Asynchronous ovaries which contains oocytes at all stages of maturation.This is characteristic for species which spawn many times during prolonged spawning season.

That is to say,if you can synthesize the enviroment possible similar to Amazon river,I ensure they breed all year round like rabbits.

Factors affecting fish reproduction:

Temperature : 27'C to 28'C

Daily part water change possible

water condition: 6.8pH to 7.0pH

Feeding: do not overfeed your spawning prs.,feed only once a day with just a 2cm cute of beefheart mixture is enough. strictly no vitamin B complex added. some spirulina power is advisable.

Photoperiod: you can leave your light on 24 hrs.

Room enviroment: with good ventilation and fix an electric fan to circulate the air and make it windy.

Rainning season: synthesize music with good bass as thunderstorm and sound of rain. fish can sense the vibration with their lateral line.I think some of you might have observed discus like to spawn on rainny days.

Now,is Summer in Down under,if the climate sometime too hot with tank water temp.over 30'C the fish might reduce spawn or eggs turn white after two days.

P/S:I learnt it from a friend who used to bred thousands of discus annually. :wink:

kevkoi
Thu Dec 16, 2004, 10:15 PM
:lol: Most sound very standard procedure..... except a few things like loud music to imitate thunderstorms :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So Barry White is not the recommendation here.... :(

:lol: :lol:

Oh dear.... Time to play some Metallica at SLS.

No vitamin B complex in diet? WHY?? Isn't vitamin B suppose to promote fertility? And isn't vitamin B complex present in almost all prepared dried fish foods? Hmmmm......

CMDiscus
Sat Dec 18, 2004, 03:01 AM
Vitamin B complex act as an appetizer,but,one of them affect the reproductive organ of the fish.

With the synthesized enviroment that will feel breeding season all the time.

Likewise,if you are working in the centre office of a building with lights on all the time,without a watch,can you tell me whether it is in the night or day?
can you hear the thunderstorm or rain from the outside? :?:

After you read the post you will enjoy breeding with your discus.

DiscusMan
Sat Dec 18, 2004, 05:00 AM
Vitamin B complex act as an appetizer,but,one of them affect the reproductive organ of the fish.

With the synthesized enviroment that will feel breeding season all the time.

Likewise,if you are working in the centre office of a building with lights on all the time,without a watch,can you tell me whether it is in the night or day?
can you hear the thunderstorm or rain from the outside? :?:

After you read the post you will enjoy breeding with your discus.

Thanks for that reply.

I have never heard of simulating storms with music etc. A very interesting thought indeed for those really stuborn pairs.

Wayne

jim from sydney
Sat Dec 18, 2004, 10:54 AM
Now i am starting to understand why discus are the "kings of the tropicals"
with music, the best food (those great ingredients) fresh water every day....to name a few......they are indeed living in ***** comfort.

Jim.

CMDiscus
Sat Dec 18, 2004, 01:11 PM
You will find it more interesting if you can play a walkman and drop a ear phone 1 or 2 cm above the water of your breeding tank,then you will observe how they react to music with good bass. no harm have a trial with few prs. to witness your finding in discus keeping.(all these I learnt from a friend in Asia)

In Discus there is no compatible pr. for life and it is not uncommon to find good confirm pr. fight after having few batches of babies or one of them become egg eater.

Stubborn pr.? I think fish are just similar to human being,when you get bored with your old lady you might go out to have a fresh one.(if you dare,Mate ) :o so simple just throw the pr. back to community tank and they soon will pick up their new partner again.