PDA

View Full Version : new tank set up

Mattzilla
Sat Dec 11, 2004, 02:41 AM
sorry but it's not for discus...... i know i know i am a fool, but i want to try something else. i can't justify the water usage if i had 3 200ltr discus tanks. the w/c water usage would be too high.

so i am getting some electric yellows, mainganos and another malawi fish that i can't remember it's name.

anyway i have set up the tank that is alsmost ready for fish. the subtrate is crushed white marbel which looks better than i expected. i bought some pots and knocked some holes as doors in a couple and today i tied some plants to some of the pots using fishing line.

hope you like the look i am going for

ctvu
Sat Dec 11, 2004, 06:48 AM
It looks great, tell us how is the anubias growing on the pot.
I will give it a go too.

Mattzilla
Sat Dec 11, 2004, 07:02 AM
i just tied it to the pots today with fishing line...i've been told that they will graft to the pots after a while. then i'll be able to remove the fishing line. saying that, you can't even see the fishing line so it doesn't worry me.

nicklee88
Sat Dec 11, 2004, 07:21 AM
hey

lookin Nice Mattzilla :wink:

Nick.

Proteus
Sat Dec 11, 2004, 12:02 PM
Nice work Matt...

Annie
Tue Dec 14, 2004, 06:40 AM
Looking very good. I would of never of thought to tie the plants to the pots..great idea..

Chafule
Tue Dec 14, 2004, 12:55 PM
love the marble :D

Mattzilla
Tue Dec 14, 2004, 02:28 PM
thanks guys.... i have been experimenting with drilluing holes in some terra pots... i'll show the pics of some results tomorrow

i'm really looking forward to getting some fish into that tank as well..

Mattzilla
Wed Dec 15, 2004, 01:10 AM
got some pics of the pot i drilled some holes in...it turned out pretty good...
i only did one pot though because it took ages and was abit of a pain to do

Annie
Wed Dec 15, 2004, 03:45 AM
That is pretty nice. I tried once to put a hole in the botom of a pot once, amd lets just say I ended up with "multiple pieces". LOL!

africandiscus
Wed Dec 15, 2004, 06:16 AM
I tried once to put a hole in the botom of a pot once, amd lets just say I ended up with "multiple pieces". LOL!

Same here, very difficult to make holes

Proteus
Wed Dec 15, 2004, 06:31 AM
Soak the pot in warm/hot water for an hour or so, and it is like cutting cake...

:wink:

Mattzilla
Wed Dec 15, 2004, 02:03 PM
gees that sounds much easier than what i went through ro..... i have a spare pot that i didn't use so i might try that tomorrow and see if i get better results.

Lee C
Wed Dec 15, 2004, 03:50 PM
Nice set up Matt.... :idea: you have me thinking about getting back into Africans, although I was more into Lemon Yellow Leleupi.
The fish should photograph well with the white marble. 8-)

Mattzilla
Wed Dec 29, 2004, 12:10 AM
i've been flat out lately but i finally got some time to take some pictures of the fish in their new home

Robbies Discus
Fri Jan 07, 2005, 06:05 AM
Gorgeous set-up, looks even better with the fish in :D what is the dark blue and pale blue stripped one called? it's gorgeous (are they marine also?)

Mattzilla
Sun Jan 09, 2005, 02:43 AM
blue striped ones are mainganos...they are fresh water tropical

thanks for the nice comments

kevkoi
Sun Jan 09, 2005, 04:02 AM
nice stock matt....

That's quite a lot of fish for the size tank matt. The Aceis will get pretty big, and of the lot, watch out for the mainganos.... they're the most aggressive temperament fish you have in that tank. Hope u have lots of females... ;)

kev

Mattzilla
Tue Jan 11, 2005, 12:18 PM
yeah i know there are a lot of fish there but as you where pointing out....i will be getting rid of most of the males. i plan on keeping two of each male and as many females that i have.

i allready have a male maingano that is dominating the tank and they re all still small fish...lol

i'm looking forward to having some good breeding colonies (i got the fry nets/tumblers ready and waiting)

cheers
matt

Mattzilla
Tue Jan 11, 2005, 12:20 PM
also, the tank is about 220 ltrs....