PDA

View Full Version : Question on color of my first wilds (tefe green)

ivo
Mon Mar 31, 2008, 08:00 AM
hi all, i have never kept wilds before and i bought three for the first time on the weekend. one adult size (12-13cm) wild tefe green and two small heckels (6cm). they are really not much to look at. nothing like those wilds merrilyn have which have stunning and intense colors.

my ones body color and horizontal stripes are quite pale in color. i was wondering whether their color will get more intense or their color is as good as it gets for these ones i have? thanks.

taksan
Mon Mar 31, 2008, 08:03 AM
In a bare tank like that they probably will look dull due to stress. Wilds like a twiggy natural biotope looking tank with plenty of cover and low light levels.

ivo
Mon Mar 31, 2008, 08:11 AM
thanks taksan and point taken. i guess you win some and you lose some by having simple set up tank. in this case, i will just accept they will continue looking like that. this big green wild is a hunter it keeps trying to eat my other little fish (no idea what those little red fish i am keeping in the tank).

another question please taksan, they don't seem to be under any stress since they eat, looking healthy and sometimes bullying other discus. does it mean they are actually quite comfortable in my simple and bright light set up environment? thanks.

TW
Mon Mar 31, 2008, 10:12 AM
Nice find ivo. I am a novice & don't know too much about wilds, but I like the look of them. Where did you come across them.

albatrozz
Mon Mar 31, 2008, 10:50 AM
Nice looking fish ivo. you never seem to stop buying discus... :shock:
anyways great wilds.

Nice find ivo. I am a novice & don't know too much about wilds, but I like the look of them. Where did you come across them. I too would like to know where you got them from :wink:

ivo
Mon Mar 31, 2008, 11:31 AM
thank you and glad you like it. i am still trying to get used to looking at wilds type in my tank. i guess it is Merrilyn's beautiful wilds made me decide to buy couple for myself to see what they are like. there is no comparison in terms of quality to Merrilyn ones. i am just pleased that they settled in so quickly and no other discus pick on those little heckels. i think the wild green is a female since my other big boys been trying to flirt with her.

Matt15
Mon Mar 31, 2008, 01:04 PM
They look pretty good ivo, maybe its time for a 3rd tank mate for wilds only... hahahaha...!!!

Merrilyn
Mon Mar 31, 2008, 01:19 PM
Ivo they're gorgeous. You've chosen some lovely fish.

Wilds never show their true beauty till they have been in captivity for at least a few months, during which time they should be wormed and offered the best food you can get.

After a few months of TLC and good nutrition, they will begin to show you their real colours and personality.

Those little heckels are as cute as they can be. I bought some of them from the same batch :P

taksan
Mon Mar 31, 2008, 01:22 PM
another question please taksan, they don't seem to be under any stress since they eat, looking healthy and sometimes bullying other discus. does it mean they are actually quite comfortable in my simple and bright light set up environment? thanks.

Dunno wilds just do that I guess ...mine ate and looked fine too but didn't really show the nice wild colours until I gave them dull lighting and lots of wood to hide in and out of. I think they show the colours according to the lighting. In a dim dark blackwater river amongst twigs they would feel safer being brighter then if they were out in the open feeding on grassbeds in bright sunlight and I believe that shows in wild fish. Same thing for tanks I suspect. I think they show the colours they feel safe showing.

DiscusEden
Mon Mar 31, 2008, 01:31 PM
Love the tefe Ivo - another great find of yours!

What pH is she in?

Any chance of some pics of the heckles?

ivo
Tue Apr 01, 2008, 05:32 AM
Thank you Merrilyn and Taksan. Although they are eating well but the little heckels are quite skinny so i started de worming them just in case.

Hey DE, i put pictures of the little heckels in previous post. They are cute but nothing special to look at. My Ph is around 5.5 for all discus.