PDA

View Full Version : florida gar fish?

dandaman352
Mon Mar 17, 2008, 07:25 AM
Is it possible to add a Florida gar fish to a discus tank? I would want something that stays primarily on top to cover that part. Just curious, I don't really know much about them but heard of a member here that keeps them with discus..

taksan
Mon Mar 17, 2008, 10:59 AM
LOL .... the discus would be lovely snacks for the gar ....

Barry N
Mon Mar 17, 2008, 11:21 AM
Maybe when they are tiny......BUT, here a couple of facts:

Adult size is approximently 13- 34 inches (.33-.86 m) total length. The maximum size recorded is 52.4 inches (1.33 m TL). The Florida all-tackle record Florida gar weighted 7 pounds (3.2 kilograms)

Adults feed primarily on fish, along with some crustaceans and insects. The gar floats silently near the surface of the water, disguised as a stick or log. When it comes upon a fish, it propels itself slowly forward with a flick of its fins. Once into position the gar snaps its head sideways and secures the prey with its sharp teeth, then it slowly repositions the fish so that it can be swallowed headfirst.

OUCH :shock:

DiscusEden
Mon Mar 17, 2008, 11:33 AM
I think what I've got is a half-beak, probably either:
Demogenys sumatrana
D. pusilla
or maybe Nomorhamphus towoetii at a stretch.

Link to pics here:
http://homepage.mac.com/nmonks/aquaria/halfbeaks.html

I could be wrong, but mine's only 5cm at the most, smaller overall than the guppies. Which, incidentally, hang around the top as well, giving colour & movement.

HTH

dandaman352
Mon Mar 17, 2008, 06:13 PM
I was talking about a smaller one. But I guess not. Thanks though

JoeDiscus85
Mon Mar 31, 2008, 12:36 AM
yeah deffinately not....