PDA

View Full Version : Upside Down

Nap1611
Tue Mar 11, 2008, 04:09 AM
A couple of weeks ago my partner put a bristle nose catfish and 2 upside down catfish my tank.... which is working towards being a discus tank...

The upside down catfish I never see unless I start moving rocks around in search of them... so they are spending all day hiding...

I was wondering if anyone had any tips for getting them out and about so we can see them????

One of my books suggested floating plants and said that they are active and swim at all levels of the tank...

Currently I only have the 3 cat fish and 12 red eye tetra's in there with a couple of mystery snails.

The water parameters at the moment are pH 6.6, Temp: 25.5C, NO3 5-10ppm, weekly water changes.

I am feeding the tank with sera GVG marin 2-3 times per day, and I am worried that they aren't feeding properly...

any ideas or suggestions???

Thanks!!!

ILLUSN
Tue Mar 11, 2008, 04:20 AM
I have 2 in one of my tanks, they are a schooling fish that are mostly nocternal, so you wont see them during the day, the best chance you'll have is with a group of 4-6 of them and a moon light, you'll see them once them main light goes off.

excellent scavengers and eat anything that the other fish leave behind. they leave most other fish alone(the bristlenoses and kullis seem to have a bit of a go at them after lights out and they're all eyeing off the same bit of food.)

Merrilyn
Tue Mar 11, 2008, 04:21 AM
Vary the diet a little more Nap. They eat mainly insects in the wild. Is your tank planted? They are happiest hanging out on the underside of leaves and branches.

Give them lots of hiding places, so they feel secure, and you'll see them more often.

Your temp is a bit low, even for the catfish. You'll need to get it up around 30C if you're going to put discus in there. Your catfish will become more active in the warmer temps too.