PDA

View Full Version : 6ft makeover

DiscusEden
Fri Mar 07, 2008, 12:56 PM
OK, so I've stripped the tank down, changed the substrate & nearly got the plants back to where I want them (still wanting to ass some more corkscrew Val along the back & cover the rocks with something. Not sure what yet).

540L AquaOne, 6ftL x approx 1.5W x 2ftH. 2080 Eheim filter & currently using the top AquaOne trickle filter, but later in the year will replace this with another Eheim of some sort.

So I'm back to the stocking levels. What I'm thinking is this:

Current:
7 discus (including 2 pairs)
14 cardinals
1x 3cm half-beak/ freshwater garfish
7 peppermint bristlenose catfish
1 royal whiptail male catfish

Current, but thinking of getting rid of:
Approx 30 guppies

Wanting to change to:
9 or 10 discus
30 cardinals
1 half-beak (freshwater garfish)
2x trios different apistos (whatever sort is available & good, I like the trifasciatums & elizabethae, but whatever - I don't know if this is wise or possible)
7 peppermint bristlenose
[/b]6x ottos
4x royal whiptail catfish (2 pairs, or add 2 females if a trio is a better idea)

I'd really appreciate any opinions or advice about whether part or all of this is going to work, and whether this stocking level is possible.

I'd also really appreciate an opinion on whether the apistos would work, whether I can keep more, if these varieties would be OK in there, or what to do.

Thanks!
DE :D

DiscusEden
Sun Mar 16, 2008, 05:50 AM
Hello?

Merrilyn
Mon Mar 17, 2008, 05:13 AM
Everything sounds fine to me. I've got several different pairs of apistos in with discus. You'll need lots of caves in the tank. Each peppermint will want one and then you'll need others for the apisto pairs.

The only thing I'm not sure on, is the garfish. From what I can remember, they have long snouts with pointy teeth and I wonder if they may be guilty of fin nipping. I guess that would depend on how big they grow.

Everything else will live in harmony in the tank, although I can't see apisto fry surviving, it's just that one fish that I'm worried about.

DiscusEden
Mon Mar 17, 2008, 05:47 AM
Thanks Merrilyn!

I don't think the garfish is going to be a problem. He's about an inch and a half long, and about 3-4 mm wide. I've had him about 8 months I think & he hasn't grown. I suspect he's a type of blue-eye rather than being closely related to the marine garfish, but the resemblence is what got him the name (something about a koala bear).

Great to hear on the rest of them, thankyou! Yaaaaaayyy!

Now I don't have to sell the discus I have, to make room & I've got space for that Golden I've been wanting! And I can go buy more fish! Yaaaayyy! Thankyou!

fish_r
Mon Mar 17, 2008, 07:04 AM
i think u have space for more of my discus DE !!! :P

DiscusEden
Mon Mar 17, 2008, 07:12 AM
Haha!

I'm taking 2. Get a golden & we'll talk.