PDA

View Full Version : how good are some of these fish

scott bowler
Fri Mar 07, 2008, 08:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmyBdktJooc&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXHU_BaZsak&feature=related
i can sit allnight and look them up on youtube, there are some awesome fish out there , :shock: :shock: :wink:

scott bowler
Fri Mar 07, 2008, 08:45 AM
i want
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4mYcomm5xQ&feature=related

Matt15
Fri Mar 07, 2008, 12:47 PM
Those fish are stunning mate.
I'm starting to dislike that bloody youtube as everytime I start watching something on there, I spent the next hour+ on the PC and can't get away. The amount of content on there is amazing....:)

gypsy3
Fri Mar 07, 2008, 12:53 PM
great fish! just a question, it's something that's nagged at me for a while. Why is it that the accessibility of wilds here is so limited - is it the cost factor? Given the fact that wilds are snapped up as soon as they're available, and that they're so cheap overseas,why wouldn't the wholesalers here import a ****load of different wild species? Surely they would make a real killing on them.Or are there other reasons it can't be done?

ILLUSN
Fri Mar 07, 2008, 02:51 PM
your on the money Gypsy3, the germans and japs will gladly pay over $1000AU a fish, couple that to the fact that they are closer and their authorities are more fish understanding, and all we get is the left overs, if they ever get this far.

FNQ
Thu Mar 20, 2008, 08:11 AM
couple that to the fact that they are closer and their authorities are more fish understanding,

Their authorities are getting less understanding as more diseases creep into the wild. :cry: One of the big issues is direct freight links to the source. Many of the international freight companies have a hub in Germany, which makes sending fish a lot easier.

samir
Thu Mar 20, 2008, 11:06 AM
great fish! just a question, it's something that's nagged at me for a while. Why is it that the accessibility of wilds here is so limited - is it the cost factor? Given the fact that wilds are snapped up as soon as they're available, and that they're so cheap overseas,why wouldn't the wholesalers here import a ****load of different wild species? Surely they would make a real killing on them.Or are there other reasons it can't be done?

Live freshwater fish may only be imported from approved countries listed below.

Bahrain
Belgium
China
Federated States of Micronesia
Fiji
French Polynesia
Germany
Hong Kong
Indonesia
Kenya
Malaysia
New Caledonia
New Zealand
Philippines
Saudi Arabia
Senegal
Seychelles
Singapore
Solomon Islands
South Africa
Sri Lanka
Thailand
United States of America (USA)

The fish must have resided for a minimum of 14 days immediately prior to export in an Export Premises approved by an AQIS recognised Competent Authority in one of the exporting countries listed above.

Hence the indirect route and inflated prices

gypsy3
Fri Mar 21, 2008, 12:11 AM
thanks for that samir - still, in that case, why can't the importers who already scource the fish, eg. Bayfish, get a greater variety of wilds, or failing that, import more of what they get, seeing as they go like hotcakes when they do get them in.That's what i don't understand - given the popuarity of them, and the fact that they already import wilds, couldn't they get a bigger quantity and larger variety in? Given that the greens and heckles they get in are a certain price, surely other varieties of wilds wouldn't be that much more expensive, and the people who supply them must surely have other types? I just wonder, that's all

FNQ
Sun Mar 23, 2008, 07:38 AM
Because the fish also have to spend a minimumof 14 days in quarantine after they arrive in australia.

gypsy3
Sun Mar 23, 2008, 02:07 PM
yeah, i know - but so do the ones they already import

Rowland
Sun Mar 23, 2008, 06:23 PM
This all makes sense now. I was used as a middle man in South Africa for an Aussie importer wanting wild Malawi cichlids a few years back.