PDA

View Full Version : can i use this with aquariums?

Mattzilla
Thu Dec 09, 2004, 01:55 AM
can i use this solvent cement (see picture) safely to glue some pvc pipes together (see other picture). i am using the pipes for w/c but just want to make sure you can use this stuff with aquariums.... will it leach chemicals into my tanks???

Mattzilla
Thu Dec 09, 2004, 02:04 AM
not sure if this helps but it says it contains:

Tetrahydrofuran 30 - 60% and Cyclohexanone 30 - 60%

thanks for you help

Mattzilla
Thu Dec 09, 2004, 04:08 AM
sorry that picture is a bit misleading... i was talking about the joins in the pvc pipe at the elbows... i have adjusted the picture to show what i mean...

sorry about that

kevkoi
Thu Dec 09, 2004, 04:56 AM
yes I believe so.

DiscusMan
Thu Dec 09, 2004, 06:23 AM
Matt,

I recently constructed my fish room using this same stuff for all the joints on the pvc and i havent had a problem. I think that it is hazardous while it is in its wet form but once it dries it is hard and doesnt break up.

I did have the same feelings when i first used it as well as the warnings on the label are very scary. Just make sure you let it dry before using it and it should be OK.

Wayne

DiscusMan
Thu Dec 09, 2004, 06:25 AM
Matt sorry mate just looked at the picture again. Mate that beer in the survivor holder will definetly effect your fish so under no circumstances try to glue the pipes together with beer. Unless you wont me to come over and help you do it that is.

Wayne :twisted:

Mattzilla
Thu Dec 09, 2004, 09:11 AM
but my discus love beer and i feel that they may have withdrawals if is stop them from drinking!!!!

and hey your always welcome to come over for a beer.

thanks for the help guys, i'll do the glueing tomorrow

matt

kalebjarrod
Thu Dec 09, 2004, 09:33 AM
my whole tank is held together with the stuff, flush it liberally with lots and lots of water first

and give the join 24hours to dry properly first :wink:

Mattzilla
Sat Dec 11, 2004, 08:41 AM
well it worked a charm...you can see the results here:
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=13380#13380

matt