PDA

View Full Version : Removing Chlorine

jwight
Wed Dec 08, 2004, 08:27 AM
I read somewhere that running an airstone in water for a number of days completely removes chroline. Is this true? And if its true does this mean that I do not have to add water ager to my water storage container as it has a heater and air stone running permantely.

Mattzilla
Wed Dec 08, 2004, 09:21 AM
yes airating water will remove chlorine

kalebjarrod
Wed Dec 08, 2004, 09:42 AM
but it won't remove chorimine :wink: (maybe wrong spelling)

DIY
Wed Dec 08, 2004, 11:24 AM
Spelling is chloramine :wink: , I know chloramine isn't used in melbourne water supply not sure about in adelaide. If adelaide water is how I remembered it then you might have other problems cause it's pretty hard

It's worth a phone call to your water supply company and ask the about chloramine usage, thats what I did to confirm.

If you only have chlorine then aging your water for 24 hours with an airstone should be sufficient to remove it.

Trebs
Wed Dec 08, 2004, 11:24 AM
That is true, your local water supplier is as likely to be adding clorimine as chlorine, possibly both. Always use water conditioner for this reason. Airating water can be benificial for stabalising ph and a few other things so it's good practice.

EDIT

Diyjunkie,

You beat me to the punch, use the above advice unless you can prove otherwise (I have no idea what they put in Adelaide water). Also water conditioner can neutralise some heavy metals (or so the label claims), so that's another reason why it's worth using anyway.

jwight
Thu Dec 09, 2004, 02:19 PM
Ok damn anything I can save on would help lol. Next question which conditioner does every body use?

DIY
Thu Dec 09, 2004, 03:12 PM
I agree with Trebs, if your'e not sure or can't get confirmation from your supply company then it's far better to be safe than sorry.

Plus if you use one that neutralises heavy metals then I'd recommended it cause I'm pretty sure adelaide water would be riddled with all sorts (I lived in adelaide for a while and remember all the large water softeners fitted to new houses).

I'm lucky, where I am in Melbourne out of the tap I get very soft water, PH always measures around 7 and only chlorine added. Worst thing to contend with is low KH :(

Try this thread for previous discussions on water conditioners:
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10680

Trebs
Mon Dec 13, 2004, 08:16 AM
I use Wardley Tri-Start. A 125ml bottle costs about $11 and treats 6250ltrs of water. I does at about 1.5 times the recomended amount though just to be safe.

It seams to be the best value for money of the liquid water ages. I have heard mixed reports on the crystal based products. I've never used them myself so can't really comment.

chris
Wed Feb 02, 2005, 12:17 PM
I use that wardleys stuff aswell...
My LFS told me using clorine removers can alter amonia readings, Any truth in this :?: