PDA

View Full Version : ADVISE PLEASE: POSSIBLE ALTUM TANK

ILLUSN
Fri Feb 29, 2008, 03:45 AM
G'day all,

after many a month drooling over photos of altums on this forum i think i'm sold.

I've got a spare tak (gift from an uncle) thats 6x1x1.5 hight 270L.

its not that big a tank, do you think it would be suitable for 4-5 altums and school of rummynoses (20-30 for eventuall lunch) and with a few whiptails (4-6) for clean up.

fish crazed
Wed Mar 05, 2008, 05:22 AM
Illusn, as you may already know from Merrilyn's posts, these guys can grow quite large and require a tank thats deeper than norm. I wouldn't consider anything less than 2ft deep. They might do for the time being if they're small, but its a bit risky moving them later as they don't like to be moved.

ILLUSN
Wed Mar 05, 2008, 06:13 AM
Thanks mate, that was actually my biggest concern as i've read that they can reach a total height of 50cm, just wasn't sure if they actually get to that size in captivity.

oh well guess I'll just set it up as another grow out tank.

scott bowler
Wed Mar 05, 2008, 06:49 AM
jothy i would send mez a pm and ask her she will help mate , her or matt

goldenpigeon
Wed Mar 05, 2008, 06:56 AM
i strongly suggest you dont set up the tank.

instead just send any altums you come across my way, free of charge :lol:

nicholas76
Wed Mar 05, 2008, 07:33 AM
crap fish anyway get some marines or stick to the discus

:P

ILLUSN
Wed Mar 05, 2008, 10:24 AM
Thanks nic, I'd love a tank full of "masculin" fish like in your avatar :P

I'll set iy up as grow out and get one of those coner tanks off Wayne for the lounge roon, surley the fluval 350 would do the job, any one got any good drift wood lying around?

Merrilyn
Wed Mar 05, 2008, 10:57 AM
Minimum 2ft 6 inches deep for altums Jothy. But the way your fish breed, it would make an awsome grow out tank :P

ILLUSN
Wed Mar 05, 2008, 10:52 PM
Thanks Merrilyn,

rose reds latest batch of fry were free swimming this morning so it looks like I'll need the grow out room, damn fry there goes my easter break!!!

Cant believe the wife has actually "suggested" i get another tank, its like all my christmas's at once :D

Will have to shoot off a pm to Bec and Wayne and ask on the height of the fluval 350.

scott bowler
Fri Mar 07, 2008, 08:03 AM
jothy do it like this mate hehe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10zoZP8yf_0&feature=related