PDA

View Full Version : A brief review of breeder Discus World Australia

bugly
Wed Feb 27, 2008, 11:44 PM
I havent kept discus for about 15 years and decided to update my 240 litre community tank and populate it with discus and tetras. (The only keepers from its previous incarnation are a group of 5 clown loaches).

Anyhow - I was looking on this website to pointers to a local breeder/importer to Brisbane and Discus World Australia came up. Looking at the website I was amazed at the prices for the fish in comparison to what is charged in the LFS.

Firstly the fish. My order was for 2 blue diamonds, 1 turq, 1 white swan and 1 pigeon. All fish were advertised as being 4 cm, the blue diamonds were that all others substatnially larger.
(oh yes and 3 royal whiptails)

All show good colour and shape (at least to my eye - havent kept them for a while) - its hard to know how they will turn out but first impressions are vary favourable. All of the discus look to be well fed and relatively unstressed by the trip from Hervey Bay via courier. When they settle I will get some photos up.

They came packaged in a large bag with about 20 liters of water insode a coolite conatiner. My usual experience is that the fish are shipped in smaller bags with less water. This method is new to me and the fish seem to approve. I think the temperature anq quality are more stable this way.

The only issue I had was that I needed to siphon out a lot of water from the tank to float the bag.

The order was placed on line one night the next morning there was email confirming details of the order and shipping arrangements. Russell was very happy to communicate and answered my questions promptly, and was very helpful.

The total cost for 5 juveniles (only 2 at the advertised size of 4cm other in the 6 to 7 cm range) and the 3 catfish was in the order of $130 which I believe is great value and best of all they were dispatched 2 days after the order was placed and arrived before 8am the next day.

:D :D

Will keep you posted on the fish and be prepared to get bombarded with questions.

Cheers

Bugly

zar
Thu Feb 28, 2008, 01:42 AM
Hi Bugly

can i ask how much shipping cost you?

bugly
Thu Feb 28, 2008, 01:45 AM
Shipping was $27.50 which seems to be very reasonable

zar
Thu Feb 28, 2008, 02:09 AM
yeah, looking at what you've got , 27 is very good.
To buy all that in shops you would have spent $200 easy

Matt15
Thu Feb 28, 2008, 05:18 AM
Bugly sounds like a great experience mate. I've been considering driving up there to have alook for months now. Might take the plunge soon....!!!
Be sure to post us some pics of your newly prized possessions.

Thx for sharing your experience with us mate.....;)

bugly
Thu Feb 28, 2008, 08:06 AM
@ MAtt15 my pleasure - letting them settle into 'home' for the moment - will get the camera out soon.

Russell (the proprieter) seems very helpful - he returned my call when I enquired about what he was feeding the fish - spent a good 15 minutes on the phone with a good deal of helpful advice.

Cheers

Bugly

Hood
Sun Jan 18, 2009, 07:25 AM
You got any pics of these guy's yet mate??

As I have been thinkin about takin the plunge and ordering with these guy's myself, soon!!

Cheers,
Josh