PDA

View Full Version : Help, discus dying

seal
Sat Dec 04, 2004, 11:24 PM
Hi
Im not up to date on the diseases that discus get, but I know I have a problem. Last week my female scribbled pigeon died after 12 months and she looked like she may have got caught behind a heater, but now I know this is not so. Her partner another scribbled pigeon seemed ok and as discussed with my local discus shop, after the water was tested twice that I would give him 2 new mates. A red white and a checkerboard. They got along fine after a little dust up and were eating together. 2 hrs later, my scribbled pigeon was dead. I thought he may have got in a fight as one of his side fins looked disloated as his fin was flat on his face and the joint was very pink. My shop said I may have a bacteria in my tank as a few locals had been having similar problems (the local water appears to be a problem), so I added a dose of triple sulfur on Friday. Last night I notice my Red White acting weird as he was constantly at the surface as if he was trying to breath for air at the surface and he was very erratic in his swimming. I watched him for a while and then he seemed to settle. Today he was dead. My checkereboard was also looking sad with a 45 deg tilt, so I scooped him out and now have him in a bucket with fresh water to which I have added a strong dose of Fungus Ade and some more Triple Sulfa. After reading some of your forums I have also whacked in a heater and put that on 30 deg. I have just had a look and he seems to of stabilised and even swiimimg a little.
Does anyone know what is going on as my tank has tetras, oticinlus, corys etc and they are healthy as??? :cry: :?

kalebjarrod
Sun Dec 05, 2004, 04:11 AM
i am not too good on the problem side of things

kkep the temp high like you are, where they gasping for air?

seal
Sun Dec 05, 2004, 04:39 AM
I think the checkerboard will be ok since I removed him from the tank and he is in quarantine at my local shop, thanks to them.

We have since determined that the TDS was twice what it should be and my conductivity was very high, therefore most likely an excess of iron. I was running a special layered bed in my old tank that had an iron crushed brick for plants and this was ok till I recently moved and the layers became one, plus going from rain water to town water looks like the chemicals in the town water have possibly over reacted the iron substrate.
Anyway I have just completed a complete water change and added a new substrate, and added some discus geo liquid and will retest in a couple of days before putting my checkerboard back in.

Thanks anyway. Unfortunately it has been a costly lesson.
To my 3 discus I killed..............RIP :(