PDA

View Full Version : monster fish competition people!!!!

Mattzilla
Sat Dec 04, 2004, 03:50 PM
the biggest fish wins.....

here is a monster to kick things off...

kevkoi
Sat Dec 04, 2004, 10:53 PM
Matt... I've got a soft spot for tank busters.
Largest freshwater fish... Arapaima gigas.

.... Ur Wallago attu stands no chance against the Arapimas gigas in terms of size. :lol:

Mattzilla
Sat Dec 04, 2004, 11:57 PM
wow!!!! that thing is huuuuuuge!

looks like kev's winning....and is going to be hard to beat

kevkoi
Sun Dec 05, 2004, 08:07 AM
Matt, u could re-phrase that to Largest scaleless fresh water fish? :lol: Then the Wallago attu would come in second place behind Pangasius gigas (Giant Mekong catfish!)

Pangasius gigas....
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/item.php?news=120

This monster fish can get up to 3meters long and weigh an incredible 300kg!!! They are a food fish on the Mekong river... and one of them should feed many families! LOL

http://images.google.com.au/images?q=pangasius%20gigas&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&tab=wi

Most of the pictures are of juveniles!

Geez, I like my BIG freshwater fish!! :lol:

Mattzilla
Sun Dec 05, 2004, 01:08 PM
holy moly!!!!
they are some big fish!!!

Budi_Armyn
Wed Dec 29, 2004, 09:02 AM
I think Arapaima gigas is the biggest freshwater fish. They can reach
4,5 metres and eats wild duck as their favorite prey. In Indonesia, some fish mania keeps this fishes in their aquarium or pond and I know that some of them have already reach 1,5 metres long. They very voracious and dangerous. Six months ago, one of my friend who is keeping two 1,5 metres Arapaima get attacked by his uncommon pet, when he is cleaning the pond. He got 14 stitches in his leg.
We have some 2,5 metres Arapaima in our public aquarium in Taman Mini Indonesia Indah.

regards,

budi armyn

lighter
Fri Dec 31, 2004, 09:37 AM
You're right. They're the largest freshwater fishes. But surprisingly you can see the small ones < 1 feet selling at LFS!!! :shock:

kevkoi
Sun Jan 02, 2005, 03:00 PM
these?

kevkoi
Sun Jan 02, 2005, 03:01 PM
Here's another big fish worth looking at.....

Now THAT's a CARP!!

ctvu
Wed Jan 05, 2005, 10:50 PM
:shock: :shock: :shock: :o :o

I could not beleive my eyes, WHAT A MONSTER!!!

Thanks guys

jim
Wed Jan 05, 2005, 11:38 PM
yam yam :-)

Budi_Armyn
Thu Jan 06, 2005, 02:07 AM
Ligther & Kevkoi,
Yeaah.... !!! In Indonesia, a few years ago we also can find small ones sold in fish stores. But most of fish hobbyists actually did not know how big this species can grow. They also did not know the danger keeping this fish. One of my best friend buy this species few years ago and used to touch and hold it's body when it is only 30cm. Until one day, he got bite and badly injured his finger. Then he just release this fish in local lake near his home and I am afraid one day when it already grow and become a monster, someone possibbly become victim of this unresponsible decision. I think small kid can be easily pulled to the water by this fish and drowned, when the fish reach at least 1 metre.

regards,

budi armyn

the_oracle
Thu Jan 06, 2005, 05:41 AM
THEY ARE REALLY HUGE..................

discusnut
Tue Jan 11, 2005, 02:14 AM
How about this fresh water ray from ASIA
http://www.fishbase.org/images/species/Hicha_u7.jpg

Budi_Armyn
Wed Jan 12, 2005, 09:32 AM
Here is another monster!
I don't know the location, but I think it's a catfish!

regards,

budi armyn