PDA

View Full Version : Not recovering from Hex treating with Metro

weird
Tue Nov 30, 2004, 11:10 AM
7 young discus have had white poos for 3 weeks ... done 3 treatments for hex using metro. Only 1 has seemed to recover and get his appetite back. The others are acting still sheepishly, and have white poos ...

Anyone have experience with treating hex, and what is the recovery process like ? I think I should stop treating them with metro ... is there any other treatments ? Bloody resistant hex !

flukes
Wed Dec 01, 2004, 02:29 PM
I actually had one of my fish die after i was treating for what i thought was hex, everything pointed too hex and i treated the whole tank for other things aswell. I still cant tell what killed it though....

Not much help...

weird
Wed Dec 01, 2004, 11:48 PM
I have received some excellent information. It looks like I did not fully understand how the treatment works. Metro has a half life of 8 hours. So treatment should be every 8 hours. Also because I do not have a light case of metro I need to considerably up the dosage, to like 400mg per 10 gallons, which is like 400mg -> 37.85 litres, so approx 10mg per litre (10.57 mg per litre). Also light effects metro, so lights off during the treatment.

Will begin treatment tonight ... after getting more metro ... hopefully will have some better news in 3 days. Thanks for your help.

dreamer
Thu Dec 02, 2004, 12:54 AM
you may want to give them a 'rest' between treatment.

what kind of procedure you used when treating with metro? sometimes it takes up to a week or more for the fish to start eating

try simplydiscus for metro treatment, they have great discussion there.

weird
Thu Dec 02, 2004, 12:39 PM
Began treatment, but using generic brand ... metrogyl instead of brand flagyl ($2 dollar cheaper so $13 dollars instead of $15 .... but I found dissolved more readily) , still 400 ml metronidazole ... one good comment ... it dissolved more readily in the 1/2 cup of boiled water before I placed it in the tank .... hope it has no nasty additives .

Opps ... btw .. your discus should not take any alcohol while undergoing treatment with this medicine ... so discourage those afternoon discus drinks that normally happen at the back of the tank ... goodness know what else happens there.

weird
Sat Dec 04, 2004, 02:27 PM
Only one more dose, been doing 2 water changes a day (25%) ... for 2 1/2 days ... have done 5 treatments of a total of 6 ... last one tomorrow ... 4/5 full 3 foot tank (133 litres) ... 4 metro tabs (400 mgs) ... luckily the doctor gave me a repeat as getting rest tomorrow morning.

And what can I say ... the first time in 3 1/2 weeks ... THEY ARE ALL EATING ... HOORAY !!! I am hoping in a few days I will have the boisterous cheaky little buggers that first arrived.

Want to say a special thanky to Discus D for your help.

weird
Thu Dec 30, 2004, 12:55 AM
Thought I would post some pics of my fully recovered discus from a nasty nasty case of hex. These guys were seriously sick for about 1 month.

Its only a 3 foot tank, fluval 204, and a seriously over sized sponge filter. They have about 8 baby bristlenose as companion mates.