PDA

View Full Version : CO2 Set up

liquornpoker
Tue Nov 30, 2004, 08:09 AM
I'm planning to setup my CO2 system for my planted aquarium like this, do you guys think it's ok? I planning to make one of those DIY CO2 System with a 4 litter bottle and connect it to one of those Air Bubble Machine to a T-Valve and then connect it to an air stone and put it under the sand. Let me know what you guys think and tell me if this will work. below is a picture of my outline.

kalebjarrod
Tue Nov 30, 2004, 09:09 AM
you will find the majority of the stomata (used in the exchange of gases through the plants epidermus) are located on the underside of the leaves

a simple diy CO2 brew bottle system hooked up to a small power head or a DIY diffuser will work out alot more effecient for the exchange of gasses

the undergravel system will just cause larger pockets of anerobic condidtion near the root system

the use of a air stone will break the surface tension of the water realising the co2 far to quickly

hope that made sense :wink:

Bad Inferno
Tue Nov 30, 2004, 10:24 AM
I have played around with DIY for 6 months and had absolute fantastic results (when I did not keep discus). My tank now runs at 29-30 degrees and very soft water and with these conditions your plant selection is limited.

some comments
why a bubble machine...the CO2 should have enough pressure to run the air stone. You would not be able to tell when you need to recharge and you would incure large pH swings.

Make sure of a one way valve.

I ran a small airstone (metal type) off a DIY 2 litre bottle and you can see the bubble get smaller as it approaches the surface.

I have switched to a CO2 bottle (fire extinguisher) and reg and still just use the airstone. I use it more now to stabilse the PH as I have an online ph meter.

Depending on your tank capacity you may not want 100% defussion in your tank. If your KH is anything like mine ~1 degrees you will easily swing your ph -.5 to -1 in a 180litre tank. I found with DIY I had to buffer my KH up to maintain a reasonable Ph ver co2 concentration whilst battling with the Co2 bottle depleting....it was a never ending circle (and I had an online ph meter).

If you go ahead I do like the idea of a secondary bottle which is used as a gas separator.

Make sure you have a KH/pH test kits with the corresponding Co2 charts before you connect it up.

liquornpoker
Tue Nov 30, 2004, 05:09 PM
what about instead of hooking it to an airstone and the bubble machine, should i just hook it up to the intake of the canister filter?

jim
Wed Dec 01, 2004, 02:02 AM
Some personal experience:
1. Don't fill CO2 water bottle too full. Leave around 1/5 empty, otherwise a lot of unwanted dirty stuff will get into your tank.
2. When the bottle stop produce CO2, don't need change it rite away. Give it a shake one or twice a day, it will last you at least another week (at least for me).

flukes
Wed Dec 01, 2004, 02:25 PM
Hrmm i dont understand why you have the output coming as a run off from the input of the air. By bubble machine i guess you mean air pump?

Ok here's how i did mine, drill 2 holes in the bottle cap, one will be for the air input and the other for the c02 too get too the tank.

Once you have that working you now need too difuse the co2 in the tank, if you leave it the way it is the air bubbles will rise to the surface pop and waste all the co2.

You could either use an air stone, point it into a canister or make a diffuser....

either way if you dont do one of these your efforts will be wasted.