PDA

View Full Version : Gift Koi Angels.. tank option help

SusieQ
Sat Feb 02, 2008, 12:36 AM
Hi Everyone..
Well now that I have the 120 planted happily set with my semi adult discus, sold the 72 gallon and sold the 55 gallon and set up a 29 gallon for my husband's guppies.. On Sunday, we were given a gift of 4 beautiful large semi adult veil koi angels from the breeder who sold us the discus.. My husband fell in love with them when we had seen them in the breeders 325 gallon community tank..
As of now they are in the 29 planted with 3 adult guppies (the babies were eaten the first night) and 2 baby pristellas who have managed to survive.. So our options seem to be
(1) keep 2 as a possible pair in the 29 gallon and find a new home with someone else, for the other2.. could 2 males exist in there together happpily or must it be a pair.. could 3???
(2) put some or all in the planted discus tank.. don't really want to do this but if I did how many??
(3) get another tank... hopefully isn't gonna happen as that's why I sold the other tanks
(4) leave all 4 in the 29 gallon planted and do lots of water changes.. would things get really nasty in that small space.. tank is 30 inches long but very tall.
(5) any other ideas..

Don't know much about adult angels except when they pair and spawn they can get very nasty and territorial. So I am open to ideas.. They are all very healthy and active and beautiful but we would rehome some if that's the best solution for the fish... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks Sue

ILLUSN
Sat Feb 02, 2008, 12:57 AM
4 angels in a 29 is really alot even with daily changes, they really need 40L each, if you can get a pair do that and keep them, and move on the rest, you could put them in with the discus for a while. but once they get aggressive, you'll have to move them on.

you'll have to decide which you like more, the angels or the guppies, as angels like softer water (neutrral should be ok) and guppies like it harder, also the angels will probably eat the guppies.

SusieQ
Sat Feb 02, 2008, 02:00 PM
Hi Illusion.. Thanks for the quick reply...
Don't really want to put them in with the discus anyways as that tank is very mellow even when they are spawning.. so that's out..

Guppies vs koi angels... no contest.. The water conditions are perfect for the angels, soft and low ph) and we aren't worried about whatever happens to the 3 guppies.. so the 29 is gonna be an angel tank..

I am going to see if what I think is a pair is one. Can't see any tubes yet but the guy I got them from says there were eggs in the huge community tank that he thinks were from the angels..Is it true that the males are usually the ones with the small humps??? With the small size of the tank it's hard to tell really whose's pairing up because they really can't seperate themselves that much. I think I might have one female (no visible hump) and 3 males (very small humps). Hence the question if I choose the "pair" wrong and end up with 2 males in the 29 gallon is that gonna be an aggression problem... If so because they are males or because there is only 2 of them... If I can't tell about a pair would I be better off just keeping a lone angel in there...
Thanks again for the help.... Sue
I want to do whatever is best for the fish so can rehome whoever needs to go...

SusieQ
Fri Feb 15, 2008, 06:25 PM
Hi Illusn... Just wanted to say thanks for the advice and give you an update.
Since the big discus tank is "mine" and the 29 gallon my husbands (he picks the fish and I do most of the work and we both enjoy), I let him decide.
We decided to give the suspected pair a new home with someone else and keep the 2 suspected males in the 29 with the guppies.
While the guppy babies became quick snacks, the angels have no interest in either the adult guppies or the small pristella tetra babies. Everyone is getting along great. Now that there are only 2 big "monsters" instead of 4 in the tank, the guppies and swimming all over the tank again enjoying their life. While the acid ph and 80 degree temps, perfect for the angels, may shorten theguppy's life a bit, the guppies seem to be doing just fine with it for now. The 2 "males" are swimming together just fine with only the minor cichlid squabbles I expect..
All we will be adding to the tank is the 2 very small albino cories we have in qt.. and a third if we can find one. Because the tank is so overfiltered with the xp3, and the benefits from the plants, I think the bioload should be ok.. But of course we will monitor it.
One day when we figure how to take and post pics we will do so for both tanks. We love seeing everyone's pics of their beautiful fish and tanks. Thanks again... Sue

Flip03
Sat Apr 05, 2008, 12:42 PM
hey susieQ your plan sounds good to me split every one up and see what happens angels will parent well when there on there own.