PDA

View Full Version : Clear PVC

Monster Fish Rescue
Mon Jan 28, 2008, 01:51 AM
Has anyone here used clear pvc as a water bridge?

I just aquired an all glass 265 84"x30"x26" and am thinking of connecting my 800 to the 265 and then connecting those two to my 240 and would like to use a section of clear 6" pipe in the middle of the water bridge. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced problems with the pipes getting dirtier than dirty...

tzwms
Mon Jan 28, 2008, 04:02 AM
I don't think you are going to find clear pvc, but there are a lot of other clear acrylics that you could use. Lowes for instance carries sheets acrylic in varius thicknesses and sizes. I'm sure that there are manufacturers out there that have clear tubing in 6" or greater diameter.
There was a post on another forum (I think you frequent there as well) that had a link to an article about a place that had a number of tanks connected together with bridges that went what looks like 10-15 feet above the tanks.

HTH

Mr Discus
Mon Jan 28, 2008, 05:53 AM
PVC does not come clear - what you are referring to are clear acrylic pipes. They only come in certain diameters and are not cheap.

They will get no dirtier than glass - if your tank is clean and algae free then your acrylic pipes should be the same. The only difference is that acrylic scratches much much easier than glass does.

Sounds interesting though - however I'm not sure how effective it would be?!?

Monster Fish Rescue
Mon Jan 28, 2008, 11:49 AM
I've typed "clear pvc" into google 1000 times and get plenty of places that sell it. Sure it might not be actual pvc but it will mate with it and glue to it so that's how they market it. I did find one place that sells 6" in a five foot length for about $120 I'd like ten inch but it's $900 for a 10' length....

nd55
Tue Mar 04, 2008, 10:38 PM
Hullo,

The military specs clear PVC conduit to be used for secure lan wiring.

Just about the only users, so very expenive!

Nick.

Monster Fish Rescue
Wed Mar 05, 2008, 12:40 AM
Well, I got the clear PVC, it mates with sch 40 fittings... I got a 5' length of 6" for $120. Expensive, but not as expensive as some other places selling it!