PDA

View Full Version : Geo liquid... all in one?

chris_d
Fri Nov 26, 2004, 11:38 PM
while i was out at my lfs i notoiced a product being used for their discus there... geo liquid(for discus)....they say its a water additive that claims to neutralise chlorine, ammonia, nirites and nitrates, adds essential mineral, provide slime coat protection and keeps the water sparkling clean! It also claims to be the no. 1 seller in japan.... :shock: i was wondering if any one has used it themselves and tell us what they think. :?:

flukes
Sat Nov 27, 2004, 01:06 AM
There are mixed views, some love it some hate it. The basic idea is that molecules act as a filter by suspending particles, i cant see how it gets rid of them but thats the claim.

Its one of those things you dont know till you have tried it, but too use it constantly is a bit costly, luckily in melbourne we have OAFI making his own at a higher concentration for half the price. :wink:

lesley
Sat Nov 27, 2004, 11:01 PM
If it does contain bentonite clay, which I think is the case, you will find lots of references to bentonite being used in water purification systems. Do a search on the net and see what you think.

HTH, Lesley

Himbo
Sun Nov 28, 2004, 01:55 AM
Its one of those things you dont know till you have tried it, but too use it constantly is a bit costly, luckily in melbourne we have OAFI making his own at a higher concentration for half the price. :wink:

OAFI :?:

happydiscus
Sun Nov 28, 2004, 07:50 AM
i used the one for koi and it worked wonders but
be careful the first time you use it the water will be cloudy for awhile.

Aurora
Sun Nov 28, 2004, 11:58 AM
OAFI = Oakleigh Aquarium Fish Importer

Do you think that place is good flukes? I only went there once, but I didnt like it. I mean the fish were pretty good, probably some of the best Ive seen in Melbourne, but its so uninviting. I thought it closed at first. You have to ring a doorbell and wait for someone to open the door, theres not windows, and then he just sits there on a stool and watches you not saying a word as you look around. No hellos or goodbyes. It just seems so uninviting....and slightly dodgy. That was just my first impression.

Dave

weird
Sun Nov 28, 2004, 01:32 PM
Geo liquid sounds great ... I would love to try it but sounds expensive.

Thats an interesting review Aurora, I wonder if they sell the gremlin, Gizmo ? sounds weird ringing a doorbell.

Mattzilla
Mon Nov 29, 2004, 05:28 AM
i have used it in the past and havn't really seem good enough results to warrant the ongoing high cost of using it. it did make my tank water sparkle a bit more but i didn't really see any behavioural change in my discus. i think if you maintain your tanks in good condition you don't really need thigs like this.

jmo

red tiger
Wed Dec 01, 2004, 05:28 AM
Guys,
This stuff is great, partially if you do lots of large water changes, seems to settle the water very quickly.

I have also used it with much success, when rehabilitating fish with white spots and scale damage works a treat!!!

Ben
Mon Jan 31, 2005, 01:44 AM
i buy the same stuff from oafi in the big bottle and i swear by it! i use it once a week!

Kaza
Mon Jan 31, 2005, 04:41 AM
Where do you buy it in the large bottle and how much?

chris
Mon Jan 31, 2005, 05:33 AM
I use GEO liquid at every water change, I use 50% rain water so I hope the GeoLiquid puts the good stuff in the water which rain water dosnt have, My tank is crystal clear. ALL though keeping Discus we do regualar water changes and have good filtration so the water should be clear any way........ :roll:

Ben
Mon Jan 31, 2005, 08:00 AM
i buy it from oafi it cost $35- for a 2 1/2 litre bottle which lasts me about 3 months, a great little investment!

weird
Mon Jan 31, 2005, 09:27 AM
Magic wands from the $2 shop are cheaper. J/J 8-)

Ben
Tue Feb 01, 2005, 12:18 AM
have a look here:

www.oafi.cjb.net

chris
Wed Feb 02, 2005, 12:12 PM
Is that geo solution the same as geo liquid :P

flukes
Wed Feb 02, 2005, 01:07 PM
Its basically the same stuff, well i should say it is. Just under his lable. Personally i wont comment on if geo liquid works or doesnt because the argument has been fought a thousand times, but for people using it, it is a much better alternative.

Aurora - Personally he is good for people starting out in the hobby, his prices are a bit steep. But when you have learnt more about quality and realise what is out there his fish just dont compare to others..

nicholas76
Fri Feb 04, 2005, 07:26 AM
OAFI = Oakleigh Aquarium Fish Importer

Do you think that place is good flukes? I only went there once, but I didnt like it. I mean the fish were pretty good, probably some of the best Ive seen in Melbourne, but its so uninviting. I thought it closed at first. You have to ring a doorbell and wait for someone to open the door, theres not windows, and then he just sits there on a stool and watches you not saying a word as you look around. No hellos or goodbyes. It just seems so uninviting....and slightly dodgy. That was just my first impression.

Dave

Dave,

Your pretty much correct he is a bit back yard in practise but you do "somtimes" find good stuff there in my experience.

In relation to his own home brew geo liquod again its Buyer beware. :!:

I purchased a big 20 litre bottle of it used it once and its been sitting on my shelf ever since. :roll: I dont think much of this product.

If its some advice I can offer to members here

Regular water changing is more effective in keeping your tank clean and healthy than any other way.

ps if anyone wants to buy my oafi geo bottle make me an offer and its yours !

Ben
Fri Feb 04, 2005, 08:51 AM
nick, how long have you has it for?
how much!
cheers,
Ben

nicholas76
Fri Feb 04, 2005, 11:10 AM
Hi

I have had it for two months. Its been sitting in a cool dark spot in my garage.

its a 2500 ml container which is the biggest size it comes in. cost me $30 or more from memory.

Ben its yours if you give us one frozen packet of mysis shrimp or brime shrimp how about that?

cheers

nick

Ben
Wed Feb 09, 2005, 11:12 AM
I found a bit of info on the subject, its rather intersting!

http://www.users.bigpond.com/calvus/html/body_geo_liquid.html

Aurora
Wed Feb 09, 2005, 11:51 AM
I dont know, its made me more skeptical if anything. If they would just tell you how it works rather than talk about 'microscopic magic sensors that know everything' I would believe them a bit more.

What do people who use it think? Do they see everything it claims?

nicholas76
Wed Feb 09, 2005, 12:39 PM
Dave

what happened to those eggs?

ps ive still got that free premium for you!

Escher
Fri Feb 11, 2005, 12:41 PM
LIke many others here at the forum I had used Geo Liquid and I then put it away, not having seen any clear change. BUT, a couple of weeks ago I didn't know what to do with my discus that for over a week had been VERY shy and hiding in a corner; they would not even come out for food. That was very strange, but pH, nitrates, nitrites and ammonia were all OK. I then decided to use again GeoLiquid, as I though it would not hurt them. In fact it worked wonders and 24 hours later my fish were back to normal; activ as they have always been.
Not a miracle cure, but I guess it can fix unbalances.

mrylln
Thu Feb 17, 2011, 02:59 PM
I used this product years ago, and I was delighted with the results. The particles attract impurities. (somehow? +/- ions?) The glass would be clear and slime-free and those small "dust motes" we see in the water would be gone. I heard that someone lost some corys after using it, but I suspect they were loaded with flukes, which would account for the thing.

If anyone finds some in the NJ area, please let me know. I miss it. It is a good addition to my fish care box.

lpiasente
Thu Feb 17, 2011, 09:21 PM
I agree with the last post. It keeps the water crystal clear. You can do as many water changes as you like but there will always be those floaty dust pces in your tank, even if it's only a few. It makes the water crystal clear, polished like carbon is running in the tank. I don't use it anyomre but I would