PDA

View Full Version : HELP - hole in the head

arch
Thu Nov 25, 2004, 03:10 PM
Hi guys this is my first post - brilliant forum!

Hole in the Head

Anyone out there successfully treated this? I have 5 discus in a 180ltr tank along with neons, cardinals and some ottos. I do a 50% water change 2-3 times a week. One of the discus has hole in the head and has had for some time now, although the others seem fine. I'v tried two different treatments and this second one seems to be helping a bit (eSHa HEXAMITA). I did a 3 day course and wondered when you can start the same again or should i not do that? His colour is coming back slowly but he still has a large hole in the head with what looks like fur growing on it. Does this take long to heal and should I do anything else?

luvmydiscus
Fri Nov 26, 2004, 03:13 AM
Hang in there Arch. I just posted some help for you in the main forum. I was the one that recommended this site to you so I hope there will be some help coming your way soon :D

In the meantime, take a look in the search engine for hole in the head.

luvmydiscus :D

wyldchyld01
Fri Nov 26, 2004, 12:04 PM
hexamita (or more commonly the flagelate spironucleus) affect the intestine and other organs. the resulting infestation can manifest itself in this way. white slimy faeces etc.

if you treat with flagyl you would be looking at 250mg (one tablet usually) to 5ltrs of water for three days and then change 1/3rd water and continue to moniter, feed wise it's a little different and the dosage is lower over a longer period, can be more effective though.

the fungus (white fluffy stuff) could be the wound healing over and a minor concern but it would help a great deal if we could a photo of the injury so as to be a bit more specific, hope this helps a little, look for the main ingredient in the hex ex treatment as it may be flagy or an older chem gabbrocol.

maybe someone who has used this could comment on their results, good luck with it arch, sounds like you have a fighter in there so your fish might pull through.

Brenton

kalebjarrod
Fri Nov 26, 2004, 10:03 PM
have you found the reason for the "hole in head"?

you should also be looking to diet for some of your answers, difecencys in diet are are real problem and its fine to solve the hih problem but you sholud also look to solve the cause

what diet are your fish on?

P.S nice to have you here, pitty its becuase of hih, but nice all the same. :wink:

luvmydiscus
Sat Nov 27, 2004, 03:07 AM
Arch, I hope you are getting some help for your fish. Is your tank a 50 gal?

I would also like to know if Hole in the head is caused from bad water quality as well?

:D

Trebs
Sat Nov 27, 2004, 12:01 PM
Arch,

I found a couple of articles about HITH.. This might help you abit..

http://www.masla.com/fish/hlle.html
http://www.aquariumfish.net/information/hole_in_the_head.htm

The second I found to be particularly useful..

Trebs.

arch
Wed Dec 01, 2004, 08:56 AM
Thanks guys - I had been trying to get a photo on line but it would not work for some reason - I still have the photo but unfortunately the fish was really struggling so I had to put him to sleep. Thanks for your help and input though everyone