PDA

View Full Version : Malafix primafix

wobert
Tue Nov 23, 2004, 04:13 AM
:cry: Lost a beautiful discus.

Everything was fine, then one of three discus had fin rot, move it to hospital tank and treat it with primafix.

The main tank with two fish now, I treat with primafix and malafix suppose to be used in together, 5ml each 40l for each med, within two days the larger fish started showing stress. But with most antibolic it should be used for 7 days, stopped daily doses by third day and fourth day started 10% daily water change.

7th day the fish was dead and the second one started to look better. Should I have not used the medicine in combined on day one. I don't trust primafix or malafix medicine now.

Does anybody have a view?

red tiger
Wed Dec 01, 2004, 05:34 AM
bad news with discus, dont use it!!

red tiger
Wed Dec 01, 2004, 05:42 AM
Recently had a batch of fish that came in with fin rot lokking very skanky.

So i placed them in the isolation tank and gave a double dose of slime coat and geo liquid, two days later 50% water change and repeat the treatment. Repeat again if nessicary in 2 days

They come back just fine.

I too have lot a whole tank of wonderful discus in the past due to melafix.

apparently some chemical didn't agree with them!

Good luck! :(

Mattzilla
Wed Dec 01, 2004, 11:27 AM
i used both melafix and pi,mafix once before....never again. they where crap and the sick discus died. since then i have spoken to heaps of people who say it is crap.

it may work for some but definately didn't work for me.

i think someone told be that the main active ingredient is tea tree oil....might be wrong though...

Kaza
Mon Jan 03, 2005, 10:08 AM
I too have had problems using both malfix and primafix. I would never use them again. I have found both the times I used it that within 3 days I had cloudy water and nitrites.

milton
Wed Jan 05, 2005, 04:00 PM
i too just used prima fix in a planted tank with a sick pencil fish and lost a discus within 96hrs of treatment - fish stopped eating, showed stress where as before treatment was eatting out of my hands. of my other discus one was also showing the same responce to the treatment but yesterday he had little food.