PDA

View Full Version : 46gal tank heaters

LiberalFishLover
Mon Nov 22, 2004, 05:55 PM
:D
I am setting up a 46gal tank for discus and am looking for some specs on what type of heater(s) I will need?
Thanks
Colm

sunshinediscus
Mon Nov 22, 2004, 07:42 PM
Hey Colm,

Choosing a heater is all about the ambient temp and the desired temp in the tank. I live ina fairly warm climate and the tanks are in a well insulated room so i find 1 watt per liter is about right. I see you live in a cold climate but if the room where the tank is located is heated then that formula should work fine otherwise go for more watts per liter. The heaters have a thermostat in them so it won't matter if you oversize the heater.

Rod

jim
Mon Nov 22, 2004, 10:31 PM
How come Jaguar claim their 200W heater can heat up for 300-400 liters???
I almost bought it last week, trying to save some electricity bill...(I am using Sera 300w at the moment)
I know Jaguar heater is longer than the others, it that why it's so efficient?? Anyone knows??

jim
Mon Nov 22, 2004, 10:35 PM
I have also heard that having 2 small heater is better than having just a big heater. As if one goes wrong, it won't heat up/ boil the water as quick...and it makes tempture in tank more even also...

sunshinediscus
Tue Nov 23, 2004, 06:54 PM
Jim,

Not sure why Jager make those claims, perhaps there heater is more efficient dunno. My bet is every brand will have a different recomendation. One thing i'd like to add though is heaters recomendations are most likely calculated to suit the average tropical fish which would be about 25c, discus aren't average and require more temp so bigger heaters and also because we like to use heat to cure some illness' even 33/34 is required. Go for a bigger heater.

Rod

jim
Wed Nov 24, 2004, 12:15 AM
Thanks Rod, lesson learned. but even my 300w heater can not heat the water above 27c during winter time anyway (even I add another 150w heater on the other side of the tank). I guess my house is too cold.

Hi LiberalFishLover,

Please get a good brand heater for your tank. I have many friends who tried to save few dollar and buy cheap heater. End up have the whole tank of discus/fish get cooked.

Chris McMahon
Wed Nov 24, 2004, 04:30 AM
AoA (http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/), a sponsor, have 300w heaters for $12. I've got a couple and have no complaints.

If you can afford it, they also sell 300w stainless steel heaters with separate temp. controls for $49. They are safer than glass.

Trebs
Wed Nov 24, 2004, 05:06 AM
Jim,

I put foam on the top of my tanks at night during winter and it held the temp quite well. During the day the double light kept the heat up. Should also keep the power bill down a little.

jim
Wed Nov 24, 2004, 06:39 AM
cool..thx Trebs....I will try it next winter