PDA

View Full Version : My new Wilds

dpgc4life
Wed Dec 05, 2007, 01:55 AM
Hey Guys, got a few questions

Picked up 2 wild heckle discus few days ago ( will try and post some pics tomorrow). they seem to be doing ok, however they will only eat blood worm and live brine.

Do you guys feed your wilds Live black worm ? i have been warned against feeding black worm

I dont knwo how to describe it but they seem to be constantly gulping for air ( opening and closing their mouth) whilst swimming, is this a problem ?

water is as follows

ph 6.2
GH 3
kh3
ammonia 0
nitrate around 6
nitrite 0

Thanks Zak

ILLUSN
Wed Dec 05, 2007, 02:54 AM
your water seems fine, maybe the tds is a bit lower then in their previous tank.

you can use blackworms to get them to eat other foods, when i've had new fish and want to get them onto beefheart i put a bit of beefheart in, then wait for it to sink, then put in some black worm. the blackworm clump around the beefheart and the fish eats both, after a few goes you can get them to eat beefheart alone.

if your going to use black worm make sure they are fresh and clean, ALOT of the times the worms will be in cloudy water with a bit of a bad smell, these are no good for your fish.

Buy from a supplier who get them in fresh and in bulk and pick them up the day they come in.

shoot off a PM to Malcom from Blackworms Australia, he'll be able to tell you how to keep them alive so they stay fresh and clean.

Gajowa
Wed Dec 05, 2007, 10:47 AM
Our heckels began feeding on spirulina flake food next day after arrival. Try to give them that food. Our fish won't even look at blodworm or mosquito larve. The only live food they get is white worms, that I raise myself

dpgc4life
Thu Dec 06, 2007, 12:58 AM
sorry i forgot to mention that the discus are a dark colour. i was told that they could have gill flukes ?

Gajowa
Thu Dec 06, 2007, 10:12 PM
They probably have worms. I found worms like this in my heckels. Poo was taken fresh on the 2 day after arrival