PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate Level

Aurora
Thu Nov 18, 2004, 12:47 AM
Just wondering what is the optimium range for nitrate level. I know that zero is the perfect senario, but whats a safe maxium level. Because I know that ammonia and nitrite have to be zero, but a little nitrate is acceptable.

Dave

kalebjarrod
Thu Nov 18, 2004, 09:34 PM
thats a good question, i have only ever kept my nitrate at zero

DIY
Fri Nov 19, 2004, 12:46 PM
I went searching for the exact same thing recently - unfortunately I didn't bookmark any of the articles I found but here goes anyway

0-5ppm (or mg/l) seems to be the ultimate - one of the articles I read had references to research where there was no noticable detriment to the discus for both growth and health by having the level up to 5.

5-10ppm is still very good, I found quite a few articles saying to keep Nitrates below 10 (still prefer 0)

10-20ppm keeping under 20 seems to be the figure quoted for more "general" or community tanks. I found these figures on NON-discus related sites.

On an interesting note some of the US has tapwater with 20ppm nitrate and even higher straight from the tap - I think that's why they always go for the reverse osmosis units over there.

HTH

weird
Fri Nov 19, 2004, 02:18 PM
Plants feed off nitrate I believe ... so add more plants to help achieve the 0 nitrate level

Dave76
Sat Nov 20, 2004, 04:42 AM
For a planted tank I think 10ppm is considered good for the plants to absorb...I can't get mine up above 5ppm tho

Dave

kalebjarrod
Sat Nov 20, 2004, 07:21 AM
plants do absorb nitrates

and discus produce nitrates as a bi product, so plants are great in our tanks as they use the bi-products and hence keep the nitrates low

flukes
Sat Nov 20, 2004, 11:08 AM
For discus i wouldnt be going over 10ppm even that is high with juvi's most dont realise how much nitrates have an effect on a young fish..