PDA

View Full Version : What is a good tank bred brown?

ivo
Sun Dec 02, 2007, 07:16 AM
I am new to brown discus (tank bred). Apart from that cute little one with half 5th bar which i posted before this one is the first brown i ever bought. How do you judge a good brown discus? Any comments on this one is appreciated so i know what to look out for in brown discus in the future. Thank you.

ivo
Sun Dec 02, 2007, 07:18 AM
second picture and one more to follow. i only got it yesterday so the tail has slightly ph burnt and a scratch on it's body but these are all recovering very quickly already.

ivo
Sun Dec 02, 2007, 07:20 AM
last picture.

Robdog
Sun Dec 02, 2007, 07:50 AM
That is a beautiful brown. I struggle to fault it.

nicholas76
Mon Dec 03, 2007, 12:34 AM
another mint fish!

ILLUSN
Mon Dec 03, 2007, 12:55 AM
How do you judge a good brown discus?

If it looks anything like that its a DAMN GOOD BROWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You'd pick like anyother discus, shape, size color, fins eye etc.

that fish is beutiful, the only minor of all criticisum would be the eye, black bar through the pupil is not perfectly symetrical, but very few are.

there is also the slightest of a double chin.

I'd be very happy to have that fish in any of my tanks.

ozarowana
Mon Dec 03, 2007, 01:56 AM
Very nice fish! Is the start of the dorsal damaged/crooked?

triumph1921
Mon Dec 03, 2007, 02:36 AM
Hi Ivo

Nice looking fish mate......................

Care to let me know where and how much you bought it for. If u cant mention it here just pm me.

cheers

ivo
Mon Dec 03, 2007, 08:47 AM
thanks guys for the comments. the start of dorsal fin was damaged through catching the fish and putting it into bag, but it is recovering now so my guess is in another week it will be fully recovered. i bought it from a private owner it took me a long time to persuade him to sell to me.

jonieeee
Thu Dec 06, 2007, 11:52 PM
Really love the color.. Such a bEautiful fish you got there ivo :D

ivo
Fri Dec 07, 2007, 02:14 AM
thank you johnieee. i love it very much myself. he is quite a bully tho i guess because he is so big.

Scotty Bils
Fri Dec 07, 2007, 01:13 PM
You gotta love those browns!! 8-)

digthemlows
Fri Dec 28, 2007, 02:05 PM
I picked up this guy a couple of weeks ago! Eats like crazy and acts like the king!

http://starboardbough.com/tmp/wildonly3.jpg

http://starboardbough.com/tmp/wildonly2.jpg

ivo
Sat Mar 01, 2008, 03:44 PM
This Brown i have often changes body color. Sometimes it is quite dark brown, sometimes it has more yellow color. In the past few weeks it paired up with a GLSS and have spawn a few times. Interestingly, it's color has gone so red too in the past few weeks. Slight change in diet i have added tiger prawns and tuna recently. Discus tends to darken body color during spawning but is it normal to go more red for a brown discus? Anyone?

ivo
Sat Mar 01, 2008, 03:46 PM
one more picture.

scott bowler
Sat Mar 01, 2008, 10:41 PM
its a great looking fish ivo , good shape .if you ever want to get rid of it let me know , hehe

ivo
Sun Mar 02, 2008, 12:21 AM
thanks scott but i dont think so. it took me several months and several price rises to convince the owner to sell to me. i love it. what you think about its color has gone so red during mating times from your experience? i know red discus can change a lot redder when spawning but this is supposed to be a brown but around it's dorsal and annal fins have gone crazily red (which i don't min by the way)

nicholas76
Sun Mar 02, 2008, 12:26 AM
guys i find that when feeding colour enhancers ( even plain old tetra bit ) that the anal / dorsal find tend to go blood red first.

Ivo you feeding him a colouring agent? This could explain the colouring..

If it keeps going red id call him a san merah hehe ( check out my photo album , looks like i had its twin )
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=908

awsum fish Ivo you did well ...

ivo
Sun Mar 02, 2008, 12:44 AM
just the sera discus red colour pellets. it has been eating these pellets as part of their diet for a few months but it's only last few weeks it switched to red. the red around anal and dorsal used to be black, or the black will disappear for some days then come back. now it is replaced by red color. i do have some of those natural color enhancer powder but haven't used it yet since i will have to make 1kg food myself, and it is impossible to buy fresh beefheart from butcher. i ordered at several butchers but they never arrive. i guess not many people actually buy beefheart to eat.

Matt15
Sun Mar 02, 2008, 05:21 AM
What a gorgeous fish mate. Brilliant shape and colouring.....;)

ozarowana
Wed Apr 09, 2008, 02:54 AM
I know rose reds can change colour like the wind. I have stood in front of a tank of about 15. Some where dark, others light, other showing bars and they would change almost in front of your eyes.

ivo
Fri Jun 20, 2008, 02:33 PM
Just couple of update pictures of my favorite brown. Hope you like it.

waitaki
Sat Jun 21, 2008, 12:25 AM
wow! Love the colour striations in those fins :colour

scott bowler
Sat Jun 21, 2008, 02:36 AM
ivo i still think this fish is rubbish and you need to give it to ME,lol it cant make up its mind if its brown or red hehe

ivo
Sat Jun 21, 2008, 11:12 AM
thanks scott. it certainly changes color a lot even if we exclude the red color effect by enhancer. sometimes it can change to a very pale color which looks horrible and then next minute switched back to normal. he is also a home wrecker. he loves stealing other discus's wife.

Matt15
Sat Jun 21, 2008, 02:09 PM
he is also a home wrecker. he loves stealing other discus's wife.

lol sounds like my cobalt...=) Gorgeous fish ivo.