PDA

View Full Version : Discus and how many angels

SusieQ
Fri Nov 30, 2007, 01:43 AM
Hi all.... Well, harriet and anyone who followed my previous thread on trying to decide the shape of the new tank, I went and did it.. got the 4x2x2 ft 120 gallon tank.. I love it. But I did have to buy a step ladder to get into the tank... I'm only 5 foot tall afterall.LOL
The 4 discus (ranging 4-6inches) and the BN I transferred over from the 72 gallon bow front I managed to sell love it too. Its got sand substrate, lots of driftwood and plants like anubas etc. And its got more room for more fish!!!!
Now my husband loves angels as much as discus so we are thinking of buying some and adding them to the tank rather than more discus... we want a very dramatic tank and think the two different body shapes would add something. We've tried the normal schooling cardinals etc and it did nothing for us. The discus are red/orange carnation pigeons and rose reds so we thought koi or orange marble angels if we can find them.
I know there are very divided opinions on the subject of mixing discus and angels and yes want to hear an actual horror stories or great ones before our final decision... not folklore but real experience please..
Of course any new additions to the tank, whether they be more discus or angels, will be well quarantined..
If we go ahead with the angels what size and how many should we add?? I don't think we want babies but we don't want breeding size either... don't want to have to deal with a possible breeding pair right off the bat... Should we add them all at once like we normally do discus. They will be in quarantine for quite a while so the discus will be very used to their new tank... they are already eating like pigs..
We already have a 55 set up as qt so if a problem arises we could always put the trouble makers in there temporarily.. but only want to end up with the one tank to maintain for now...
Thanks in advance for any feedback I really appreciate it... Sue :D :D

ILLUSN
Fri Nov 30, 2007, 02:42 AM
you could proably go 4 adult angels in that tank with your discus, it would proably be wise to go with sub adults so as they get use to the discus and so as they dont push your discus around.

Dad did keep angles and discus together before when he first moved to australia (1976-1980). asI was born in 79 i have no memory of this tank, only a few photos of 4 angles and 4 badly beaten brown discus in a 4footer (4x18x1).

when I asked him about it for my display thank he said he found them way too aggressive, also they easily out compeated the discus for food, and were more then happy to beat the poor discus whenever they had eggs.

SusieQ
Sun Dec 16, 2007, 01:37 AM
Hi Illusn.. Thanks for your feedback... Sorry to be so late in getting back to you but things have been quite hectic. After hearing from you as well as some folks on Simply D, decided to forgo the angels in this tank. I got 4 more discus from my favorite breeder and they are in qt.
Then everyone started spawning. So had original Gold Master pair on the right side of the 120 laying eggs on the filter tube and the red rose laying eggs on the left side of the tank laying eggs on the powerhead that I use for extra aeration (going full blast... watching was like salmon trying to swim up stream... finally shut it off). It was a face off with each set daring the other to cross the line in the sand. The new gold masters in the 55qt tank also decided to lay eggs at the same time... Must of been something in the water.
Well the red rose eggs became caviar as did the eggs in the qt 55... but the Gold Masters egggs in the 120 got to the free swimming stage before being eaten. probably gonna let them try again in the community tank (just discus and a small bn that hides)... as they are becoming better parents with each spawn.. If it gets to the free swimming again then for the next time I will make the 55 a breeding tank for them and put in a divider. So I guess I was meant to have discus instead of angels. LOL.
Will keep everyone updated and be asking for help if the little ones last this time. Thanks again for all your advice to my posts. Sue