PDA

View Full Version : Bloodworms

africandiscus
Tue Nov 16, 2004, 07:14 AM
What is the best brand of bloodworms? , I dont mind paying the extra dollar.

Chafule
Tue Nov 16, 2004, 07:33 AM
hikari?
i think this brand goes through a good cleaning process

Chris McMahon
Tue Nov 16, 2004, 07:41 AM
Yep, Hikari. They cost ~$4pk vs $2pk for say Orca.

parasite
Tue Nov 16, 2004, 08:09 AM
Hikari Bloodworms go through a sterilization process, (Free of harmful bacteria and Free of harmful parasites) , Bio-Encapsulated With Multi-Vitamins.

africandiscus
Tue Nov 16, 2004, 08:50 AM
Thanks, where do you get it in Sydney for about $4 pkt

Trebs
Tue Nov 16, 2004, 08:59 AM
Who cares? get it at Canley Vale - 10 for $25.

Seriously though, I've used the kong's brand a lot as well and it's quite okay as well.

africandiscus
Tue Nov 16, 2004, 09:03 AM
Who cares? get it at Canley Vale - 10 for $25.

Can you be more specific, where in Canley Vale?[/code]

weird
Tue Nov 16, 2004, 09:43 AM
http://www.transaquarium.com.au/

Chafule
Tue Nov 16, 2004, 11:29 AM
any1 know where i can get some in brisbane? im running out lol

Chris McMahon
Tue Nov 16, 2004, 11:32 AM
any1 know where i can get some in brisbane? im running out lolOr the Gold Coast. Cheapest place here is $4pk. Some LFS sell it at $6pk. I'd love to get it at $2.50.

dreamer
Tue Nov 16, 2004, 12:15 PM
its 1 box (12packs) for $25 :)

weird
Tue Nov 16, 2004, 12:19 PM
I make the long trip out to Trans with an eskie in toe. Good prices for bloodworms and brineshrimp. They don't sell discus dinner unfortunely ... which is my discus' fav food.

sunshinediscus
Wed Nov 17, 2004, 09:19 PM
Unbelievable prices for bulk food at Trans, i bought 4.5kg sera discus granules for $130 :shock:

Chafule, Contact Ben at age of aquariums just outside Brissie for orca bloodworms 20 packs for $35. And don't worry about the clenliness of them compared to hikari they are just as good. Australian law says all frozen food imported are sterilized when they hit the country anyway.

Rod

www.lewisdiscus.com

jim
Wed Nov 17, 2004, 11:45 PM
4.5kg sera discus granules for $130 is very cheap.. Trans sell 1kg for $40....which 4.5kg = $180

Chris McMahon
Wed Nov 17, 2004, 11:45 PM
Unbelievable prices for bulk food at Trans, i bought 4.5kg sera discus granules for $130 :shock:That's less than half the price I've seen for Sera.

Chafule, Contact Ben at age of aquariums just outside Brissie for orca bloodworms 20 packs for $35. Ben does have good pricing on Orca. I've got my last 60 packs from him.

And don't worry about the cleanliness of them compared to hikari they are just as good. Australian law says all frozen food imported are sterilised when they hit the country anyway.
Interesting. What I've read is that there are organisms that survive the normal freezing process, by spore or whatever, and that Hikari's method kills these. Now I don't know if they are feeding me a line or not.

In my mind I'd put down the Orca bloodworms as a possible source of contamination with the recent death of my blue diamond runt, given that I hadn't introduced any new fish or plants to that tank in over 3 months.

For my next batch of 20 pks I was going to spend the extra on Hikari, just to be sure. So you'd say Orca are just as good as Hikari Rod? What about the extra vitamins supposedly added to Hikari?

sunshinediscus
Thu Nov 18, 2004, 04:39 AM
Chris,

AQIS requires all frozen products to be sterilized by gamma radiation when imported into oz so any spores, bacteria, virus' etc are eliminated at the point of entry.

The quality of the bloodworms is then determined by the color of the frozen food, the brighter red the worms are the better they were handled by either the manufactorure, the importer, the distributor and the retailer. If frozen food is defrosted the quality reduces as is evident by the darker color. Orca is as red as any hikari i have seen.

Other considerations are heavy metals which may or may not be present during the worms culture, this is a valid concern and is the main reason why some seasoned discus keepers won't feed them to the discus. From my experiences breeding successive generations of discus and feeding the same brand of bloodworm i can attest that orca do not have that problem.

I like Hikari bloodworms Chris and if you want the extra security claimed on the packet then i'd feed them but to me it is just not worth the price premium. I feed 400 grams in just one meal around my fish room so i simply cannot justify the price for a product that has no proven advantage.

HTH

Rod

sunshinediscus
Thu Nov 18, 2004, 04:44 AM
Jim,

Yes i seen the $40 a kilo price tag for the sera, but if you ask nicely you can get the whole bucket for $130. They are lovely people to deal with and willing to negotiate.

Rod

Dave76
Thu Nov 18, 2004, 04:48 AM
Sorry for a bit of thread stealing - where does everyone in Perth get their Bloodworms from for the best price ?

Dave

jim
Thu Nov 18, 2004, 05:01 AM
Thanks Rod...4.5 kg will last me for years....now I have to look for people who will split the food and proce with me :-)

Chris McMahon
Thu Nov 18, 2004, 07:08 AM
HTHThanks Rod.

Aurora
Thu Nov 18, 2004, 07:56 AM
Does everybody only use live or frozen blood worms? Are the freeze dried any good? I have some of them and at first my fish (cardinals and black widows at the moment till I get my discus) didnt really touch them, but now there all over them. Especially the black widows, but then they'll eat anything (even try to eat my fingers when Im trying to test the water :))

Dave

Escher
Thu Nov 25, 2004, 03:27 AM
Some time ago I pointed out to my LFS that the last blister pack of worms I bought there (Hikary) was rather uselss as the foil came off all in one piece as I opened.
The official excuse was the quarantine treatment process (some sort of radiation) for sterilise the worms! :shock:
If this is the case, would it mean that all worms would be free of deseases? :?:

nag
Thu Dec 23, 2004, 08:55 PM
Hi:
I've used Hikari frozen BW and Brine Shrimp...They are great, my discus love them...

Check here:
www.hikariusa.com
http://www.hikariusa.com/frozen_items.htm

Bye,

kalebjarrod
Thu Dec 23, 2004, 11:01 PM
escher

i have found my last two packs of hakari blood worms done the same thing

i put it done to the packageing, they only pulled part when i used a few blocks

has anyone else found the same thing?

jim
Thu Dec 23, 2004, 11:58 PM
me too me too (bloodworm as well as shrimp)....i thought i was bad luck...didn't know it happen to everyone too...

dreamer
Fri Dec 24, 2004, 12:26 AM
only happen with brine shrimp as for bw the packaging seal quite well. and i found the color with brine shrimp sometimes lighter brown sometimes darker brown, is this normal?

Trebs
Fri Dec 24, 2004, 03:25 AM
Happens all the time to me. I put them straight into a zip lock sandwich bag straight after opening.

weird
Fri Dec 24, 2004, 06:07 AM
Trans sold em to me with zip lock sandwich bags last time I think because of that problem.

DiscusMan
Wed Dec 29, 2004, 09:49 AM
People,

I have used hikari a while ago now. I have used a majority of Orca worms and like two things about them.

1. The price
2. The packaging.

I am currently using some worms that i purchased that are imported by Resun and they are packed the same way as Hikari and i am told by the importer that they are actually form the same factory as the hikari worm swith just the resun foil stuck to the top.

My quesiton is how much liquid content does the hikari packet state is in the packet. These Resun ones seem to contain a lot of liquid and when placed in the water there is a visible blood trail that comes off with the flow of the water in the tank. Also the packaging is really bad as orcas are a lot easier to handle and not as messy as these resun ones. The resun ones i get are acutally cheaper than orcas as well but i am thinking of going back to orcas for the packing alone. I think the resun packaging states something like 98% water! either there aint many worms ore there just full of water!

Wayne

kalebjarrod
Wed Dec 29, 2004, 10:13 AM
98% water hay!

well i supose the blood worms are 98% water in themsleves, this leaves you with 0.004% food

no wonder people should not feed only blood worms LOL