PDA

View Full Version : Our new wild green & blue

Gajowa
Thu Nov 29, 2007, 12:16 AM
This are the photos of our new arrivals taken 2 hours after they were let in to a quarantine tank. Tefe green looked far better than Uatuma blue. One blue didn't survive the trip from Brasil to Poland :cry: , and another 3 were hardly breathig because the temperature in the boxes droped to a 20 deg C :!: For a moment I tought we will lose those blue discus, but luckily all ended up well.

Barbara

Gajowa
Thu Nov 29, 2007, 12:19 AM
Uatuma blue

Gajowa
Thu Nov 29, 2007, 12:22 AM
Uatuma blue 15 hours later

Morpho
Fri Nov 30, 2007, 02:12 PM
After 4 weeks of quarantine, the wild discus should better colors.

All your discus are very good shape.
Put more pictures later.

nicholas76
Fri Nov 30, 2007, 09:41 PM
Barbara ,

Those "Side ways" pictures are just sooo scary!!! Glad they look so stunning!! doyou think they would make the journey south to me ok? :D

Gajowa
Fri Nov 30, 2007, 11:06 PM
Yes Nicholas it was scary to watch them lying like that. But it was more scary to look at them stright after they were unpacked from plastics bags!!! Like I said, the tempreture droped to a 20 deg C and we had to slowly adjust them to a tank tempreture and pH. We put them into a large bucket into water from their bags, and they were laying flat one on top of the other just like sardines in the can. It took 3 hours to do that. Pouring water in from the tank and out from the bucket.

Gajowa
Sat Feb 09, 2008, 12:46 AM
Hi
Two mths after quarantine discus were mooved to their new tank. Sadly we lost 3 blue to a mad speeding :(
Have you had this problems with wilds? Speeding thru the tank with the speed of light? I know it is quite common with wild discus

Barbara

nicholas76
Sat Feb 09, 2008, 01:50 AM
stunning pictures mate

when you mean speeding do you mean like they go crazy and bang into a wall??

scott bowler
Sat Feb 09, 2008, 02:58 AM
wow they look great , sorry to hear that you lost 3 , but you have a great job with the others ,

Gajowa
Sun Feb 10, 2008, 12:27 AM
when you mean speeding do you mean like they go crazy and bang into a wall??

Yes that is what I mean, but they don't bang into walls, they avoid any obstacles on the way!!! Never hurt themselfs. Just before this speeding, their colors are very vivid and they bars are very intense. Sometimes they swim sidways on the surface.

Barbara

nicholas76
Sun Feb 10, 2008, 12:41 AM
jeez barb ive only seen it with hybrids and its usually parasitic,,,,, a water born issue.

dont know what it could be mate.

by the way have i mentioned your fish look amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Merrilyn
Sun Feb 10, 2008, 07:49 AM
The fish have made a remarkable recovery Barbara. You've done a wonderful job with them :P Love the royal blues. My favourite fish too.

It's interesting that you should mention the 'speeding thru the tank'. I witnessed it today for the first time in my ten foot wild tank. The fish was skimming across the surface of the water, avoiding the driftwood, and without the usual fin flicking that I've seen in domestic fish doing a dash thru the tank.

Doesn't seem to be associated with any sort of parasite or a problem with the water quality.

Have you got any idea what causes it it?

This is the first time I've seen it happen with the wilds.

Gajowa
Tue Feb 12, 2008, 01:11 AM
Merrylin, watch that fish closly. Was it showing stress bars and strong vivid colors? Sounds like the speeding I'am talking about. What pH you have in that tank? Do you use peat?
On this photo is discus just before it died after speeding. Notice the white strip that showed on it's body.

Barbara

Merrilyn
Tue Feb 12, 2008, 03:56 AM
Thanks for that info Barbara. I will keep a close eye on the fish.

No vivid colours or stress bars, and no white mark on he body. Haven't seen the fish repeat the speeding, so perhaps it was a case of being bullied or something.

Water is pristine with twice weekly water changes and the pH kept at 5.5. Melbourne water is very soft at the moment, with almost no readable level of hardness, so maintaining low pH levels is no problem.

I don't use peat, but the tank is unplanted, sandy base and full of driftwood.

Any thoughts?

*Chris*
Tue Feb 12, 2008, 08:21 AM
the pic looks a bit like liver failure to me ... the stress of transport or even being bullied can cause secondary infection internally
colour change can be caused by the pigments centres or nerve centre of the fish being affected darting is usually the fish trying to move but unfortunantly cant control itself to the extent a healthy fish could .

Noddy65
Wed Feb 20, 2008, 06:41 AM
Those white strips look like trauma...probably where its scraped itself on tank furniture?

Mike

Gajowa
Sat Jun 21, 2008, 12:28 AM
Hi

Few months past, so I tought I will give you a little up date about our wild discus. Two weeks ago Polish Club held a Championship show, and we have done realy well with our fish, taking;
2-nd and 5-th place in green class
1-th and 3-rd in heckel class
4-th in blue class
and our heckel was 3 -rd in wild discus grup (37 wilds were entered) and 24-th over all in show.

Barbara

Gajowa
Sat Jun 21, 2008, 12:35 AM
The judges were;

President - K.S. Andrzej Sieniawski
Dr.Sun See Seng
Heiko Bleher
Jaffrey Tan
Dougall Steward
Hudobski Zbigniew
Beata Jarka
Izabela Wilk
Marek Marcinkiewicz
Wojciech Grzegorzyca

We would like to say thank you to the judges

http://www.zoofestiwal.krakow.pl/pages/index.php?page=8_wyniki_ogolna&lang=en

Barbara

waitaki
Sat Jun 21, 2008, 12:57 AM
Congratulations! Should have been more 1st places for you tho!! :lol: :lol:
your fish are really beautiful

Merrilyn
Sat Jun 21, 2008, 02:15 AM
Congratulations Barbara, your fish are beautiful and deserved to win.

And congratulations to the Polish Discus Club for putting together such an esteemed judging panel.

It must have been a very exciting day.

Matt15
Sat Jun 21, 2008, 02:33 PM
Congratulations Barbara....=)

I've just being browsing the winners page here:
http://www.zoofestiwal.krakow.pl/pages/index.php?page=8_wyniki_ogolna&lang=pl
And i must say there are some absolutely stunning winners.

Gajowa
Sat Jun 28, 2008, 10:55 PM
Hi
Check this site please

http://www.aquapress-bleher.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=268&Itemid=1

It was realy great to have Heiko and Natasha at our place