PDA

View Full Version : Which UV Sterilizer?

Davo
Mon Nov 15, 2004, 06:53 AM
I am tossing up between a Aqua UV or a Hozelock brand. The Aqua UV is a UVS but the Hozelock is a UVC. The Aqua Uv is a fair bit dearer than the Hozelock but I would rather pay extra for quality.

Does anyone own either of these brands and if they do are they satisfied with them?

Thanks,
Dave.

africandiscus
Mon Nov 15, 2004, 07:31 AM
The aqua uv is a far more superior product than the hozelock. If you can afford a aqua uv, go for it. (my opinion)

UVC is the same as a UVS. They use the identical bulbs.

I assume you are reffering to the product below:
http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_uv_ultraviolet_sterilizers_ozonizers_aqua _uv.asp?CartId=

Davo
Mon Nov 15, 2004, 09:43 AM
The Aqua UV is not the one from America. This one is made in Germany and SLS, Auburn Aquariums and a couple of other LFS sell them. I cannot find anything about them on the net though.

Dave.

africandiscus
Mon Nov 15, 2004, 09:59 AM
Is it not the same as the US one but just a 220v?

Davo
Mon Nov 15, 2004, 10:53 AM
No, this one is made by aqua medic. It is definitely not from the US. I have seen the ones from the US and this one is not it.

Dave.

Proteus
Mon Nov 15, 2004, 11:44 AM
Toss a coin, they are as much the same other than name and cost.

I have an Aqua UV and am happy with it, plus I have a couple of others, which dont have a brand name on them, and yet again, I cant read German so I cant tell you what the label says...

(they all use the same Phillips tube, and they are all marketed differently, UVC's & UVS's)

buttnaked
Mon Nov 15, 2004, 12:41 PM
Try this website, it's the manufacturer for Aqua UV

http://www.debary.de/eng/index.htm

weird
Mon Nov 15, 2004, 01:00 PM
(they all use the same Phillips tube, and they are all marketed differently, UVC's & UVS's)

Dumb question, Ro ... Where do you get the replacement Phillips tubes when needed - is that a special UV tube ?

africandiscus
Mon Nov 15, 2004, 07:17 PM
What is the price difference?

jim
Mon Nov 15, 2004, 10:59 PM
I have the Aqua UV, the unit is to hard to disassemble. I brock the glass tube last time when I try to clean the unit. Has anyone has anyone have experience to disassemble Aqua UV unit?

Escher
Tue Nov 16, 2004, 02:09 AM
If you need to buy a replacement globe/light I suggest you check Age of Aquarium (a sponsor here); their price for the model I needed was less than half of my lfs! :D :D :D